Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Mac Mini mid 2011 with High Sierra and Windows 10 1709 (Bootcamp v5). Freezing at boot menu

I have the forementioned config. It worked flawlessly for a while, but has stopped booting in Windows about a week ago and the boot menu has kept freezing when i choose Win10. Yesterday I installed ReFind and it finally booted again into Windows, but the this morning did the usual boot menu freeze...! BTW I can't afford reinstalling everything from scratch, because i have a lot of work data in the Windows 10 partition which i need for an urgent job i have to finish in a few weeks.

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on

Mar 5, 2018 6:18 AM in response to iibosshog In response to iibosshog

W10 is not officially supported on a 2011 Mac. If you have Automatic Updates enabled, you may end up with drivers which do not support the Apple hardware correctly.

You have underlying W10 issues, which rEFInd cannot really address. Was W10 clean-installed on this Mini or upgraded from W7/W8.1? You mention BC v5.x - are you referring to BC assistant version or BC drivers version? What is the version of macOS?

Mar 5, 2018 6:18 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 10:35 AM in response to Loner T In response to Loner T

I'm aware of that, it worked just fine til some days ago. Well, it used to boot into Win10 successfully only after several hours after i used Mac OS (that's weird). I was talking about BC5 assistant. I guess in the last couple of years I updated two or three of drivers, nothing important. I have automatic updates turned on and I remember the graphic card drivers are the only update i received from Win Update (apart from the usual ones). Yes, I upgraded from Win8.1 a couple years ago without any problems. It's High Sierra 10.13.3

Mar 5, 2018 10:35 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 12:23 PM in response to Loner T In response to Loner T

Intel i5, 8gb RAM. After I replied to your post I restart from HS and It booted into Windows. As I said it does seem to work only in the evening, and not directly after it's being turned off all night. I forgot to mention...This afternoon i reset the PRAM with no luck.

Mar 5, 2018 12:23 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 4:16 PM in response to Loner T In response to Loner T

Bios is in "Legacy" mode and yes I have Tuxera NTFS 2018 (previously Paragon NTFS) installed to access and modify the data in my external NTFS formatted portable 1 TB drive. Will that SMC reset destroy any data or restore the O.S. to factory default?

Mar 5, 2018 4:16 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 6:27 PM in response to iibosshog In response to iibosshog

iibosshog wrote:

I have Tuxera NTFS 2018 (previously Paragon NTFS) installed to access and modify the data in my external NTFS formatted portable 1 TB drive.

All third-party NTFS software has a couple of issues.

• Inability to cleanly close NTFS files
  • Leave the MFT in an unknown state, depending on how the OS switch is performed
  • Interfere with the System Preferences -> Startup Disks

iibosshog wrote:

Will that SMC reset destroy any data or restore the O.S. to factory default?

No. How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support .

Mar 5, 2018 6:27 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 6, 2018 12:44 AM in response to Loner T In response to Loner T

I reset the SMC with the Destkop Mode and nothing improved. What shall I do? I mean, I have 90% of my data on the external disk including my work data...When I disconnect it during booting into Win10, that doesn't resolve the issue.

Mar 6, 2018 12:44 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 7, 2018 5:01 AM in response to iibosshog In response to iibosshog

Sorry, but it didn't work. I uninstalled Tuxera clean with CleanMyMac and did both resetting, did a full cleanup, rebooted and unplugged the usb dvd writer and the external drive and tried to reboot into Win10, but the boot menu still freezed. More suggestions? I really need Win10 to work.

Mar 7, 2018 5:01 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 7, 2018 5:18 AM in response to iibosshog In response to iibosshog

iibosshog wrote:

I uninstalled Tuxera clean with CleanMyMac and did both resetting, did a full cleanup, rebooted and unplugged the usb dvd writer and the external drive and tried to reboot into Win10, but the boot menu still freezed.

CleanMyMac is not recommended. It is better to use the uninstaller which came with the product.

Can you boot W10 in Safe Mode?

Mar 7, 2018 5:18 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: iibosshog

Question: Mac Mini mid 2011 with High Sierra and Windows 10 1709 (Bootcamp v5). Freezing at boot menu