Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MOTU 828 MK2 with Logic Pro X and Mac OS Sierra

Hello everybody!

Recently i bought an MOTU 828 MK2 USB, and installed the compatible driver on my Mac OS Sierra..

Ok but now i have a STRANGE problem..

Logic Pro X recognise the MOTU interface as Input Device and Output Device,

BUT,

when i plug Instrument like a synthesizer into 1 of the 8s Audio Input on the back of the sound card,

I create an Audio Track mapped with the right Input (which means that if synth is plugged in Input 3-4, i choose 'Input 3-4' on the Input settings of the Audio Track)

I enable the ' I ' and ' R ' button on the track,

LOGIC DOESN'T RECORD ANYTHING!

BUT, if i plug the Instrument on the 'MIC/INSTR IN 1' or 'MIC/INSTR IN 2' on the front of the soundcard,

Logic starts to Record the sound..

The strange now it's that i was thinking that the 8 Analog Audio Input on the back were broken,

but if i plug Instruments in there, and create an External MIDI Track and write something, the sound comes out and input meter display shows that the soundcard receive signal from that Analog Inputs, but of course NO Records

Audio Signal on Logic..

Do you know guys how to fix this problem? Should i 'activate' the Analog Inputs on the back or something like this?

Or any troubleshoot just to know if its a MOTU problem or Logic problem?

Thanks in advance, guys <3

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 8:33 AM

The inputs are offset in labelling inside the computer.

So physical inputs on your Motu 3-4 are NOT inputs 3-4 in Logic. I/O Labelling inside Logic can make it easier and seeing as I'm not in front of my computer right now (I have a MOTU 828 Mk2) I can't remember exactly what they are.

But, try in logic, inputs 5-6 (when the physical connection is analogue 3-4 on the Motu) and it should show up.

The computer sees all available inputs from the MOTU and puts the digital inputs before the analogue inputs so it shifts the numbers around. Core Audio does not label the inputs and outputs of the MOTU the same way MOTU does. In I/O labelling (inside Logic) you can make Logic display the actual physical input name that equates to the MOTU which makes it less confusing .

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 8:33 AM in response to mattiaewas

The inputs are offset in labelling inside the computer.

So physical inputs on your Motu 3-4 are NOT inputs 3-4 in Logic. I/O Labelling inside Logic can make it easier and seeing as I'm not in front of my computer right now (I have a MOTU 828 Mk2) I can't remember exactly what they are.

But, try in logic, inputs 5-6 (when the physical connection is analogue 3-4 on the Motu) and it should show up.

The computer sees all available inputs from the MOTU and puts the digital inputs before the analogue inputs so it shifts the numbers around. Core Audio does not label the inputs and outputs of the MOTU the same way MOTU does. In I/O labelling (inside Logic) you can make Logic display the actual physical input name that equates to the MOTU which makes it less confusing .

Mar 5, 2018 8:33 AM in response to octopi

So, as a followup.

On my machine the inputs (and outputs) look like this:

User uploaded file

So the actual MOTU physical input is on the right in brackets instead of just Input 1, Input 2 etc. As you can see, Input 3-4 on the MOTU is seen through Core Audio as Input 5 and Input 6.

To get yours to show the actual MOTU names, go to the Mix menu and select I/O Labels:

User uploaded file

And then change the check boxes:

User uploaded file

Hope this helps.

Mar 5, 2018 8:19 AM in response to octopi

Thanks octopi for the fast response!

I'll make this test asap and i'll tell you if it works of course 🙂

Anyway i'm diggin' the internet, forums,etc..

and i found some interesting thing,

so i just discovered that the 8 Analog Audio Input in the back of the soundcard
are for TRS cable ( 2 black band around the tip), instead of mine that are just 1 single band around the tip.

Could anyone knows something about it?

Mar 5, 2018 9:05 AM in response to mattiaewas

Yes, they are balanced jacks, not strictly TRS.

TRS is Tip Ring Send so that a single connector can be split and sent as a send and return so that manufacturers don't have to have two sockets, one for send and one for return.

On the back of the MOTU they are balanced inputs and outputs so that you can connect a balanced connection directly to the unit (balanced being a hot pin, a cold pin and an earth).

I have a few nice mic pre-amps that have balanced XLR outs. I made up cables so that the balanced outputs of my mic press go straight into the balanced inputs of the MOTU.

By using an unbalanced jack plug you won't do the unit any harm, you'll just unbalance the input. On short runs you'll be fine. Some kit is just not balanced which is why the MOTU's Analogue In's and Out's are designed to take balanced and unbalanced signals.

MOTU 828 MK2 with Logic Pro X and Mac OS Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.