Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spilled Coffee in Mac Book

I recently spilled approximately 6oz of coffee onto my keyboard, screen, and ports. The screen went blank immediately. I dried it off quickly, however, the fan keeps coming on. Is my Mac Book (circa 2009) ruined or is their hope?

Thx - PB

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 8:49 AM

Immediately unplug and power down your computer to avoid more damage, and remove the battery. As for the fan, you likely damaged a heat sensor. Bring it into your nearest Apple store for diagnostic tests as soon as possible.

3 replies

Mar 5, 2018 9:41 AM in response to pebIII

If you used sugar or any milk-products in that coffee they will add to the possibility that there will be conductive residue left inside your notebook even if you could completely dry it ... so as 2399 has commented, you're best bet is to immediately stop using it and take it in, at your first convenience, to your local Apple Store.

You already know that it is out of warranty, nor are spills covered, so any repairs may end up being potentially costly ... which you may not find worthwhile for a 2009 device.

Mar 5, 2018 9:55 AM in response to pebIII

If you spill anything on your Mac, you should immediately power it off and disconnect the charger. I also recommend disconnecting the battery and cleaning the motherboard with alcohol and a toothbrush.

The thing with liquid damage is that it takes a while for liquid to cause corrosion, but once you start sending current through it, the corrosion happens FAST!

I was just watching a video where a repair technician purposely spills a few drops of Coca Cola on the motherboard to see how fast the circuit gets destroyed.

Live webcam Macbook board vs. Coca Cola - YouTube

Some people say you should go to Apple to have your computer fixed. Most likely you'll be quoted over $600 to get it repaired. Not really what I'd spend on an old laptop like that. For that price you can get a decent used Mac. If the hard drive hasn't been liquid damaged, getting the data is easy. It uses a standard SATA hard drive just like any other PC, so all you need is a SATA adapter like this to plug into your new Mac.

Spilled Coffee in Mac Book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.