Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a fix for loose USB-C ports?

The USB-C cables/ports used between my computers (both Laptop/2017 & Desktop/2015) and external drives are incredibly likely to disconnect. The slightest jostle will dislodge the connection and then cause an even bigger problem in waiting for the reconnect. I do a lot of video and graphic editing. All of my components/assets/core files are stored on the external drives so that I am not computer dependent. Once a disconnect happens I have to unplug, power the drive down (8TB powered), etc. and still don't always get it to reconnect. I end up running through all kinds of plug-in orders (including restarting the computer and switching cables) to get the drive to mount again. The same method rarely works twice. Hopefully these will eventually be magnetic or have longer inserts or something. In the mean time, is there a trick or fix to make these ports more reliable?

Also, when the computer and external drive are in the middle of some kind of data exchange or function, and a disconnect happens, is there left over processing going on that may keep it from reconnecting? I realize this isn't a brilliant way to ask, but I'm not sure what that would be called. I'm guessing that it hangs somehow and wants to finish whatever it was doing before reconnecting...

MB Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2018 5:56 AM

This is not going to help you. The ports are badly designed.

Both me and my coworker had the same problem with loose USB-C ports. My ports were replaced just 4 weeks ago after a lot of arguing with Apple but are already getting loose again. This is definitely a design flaw since the power brick on the charger never never exhibits this problem and I remove and replug it at least once a day. It's still good as new.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2018 5:56 AM in response to dburch

This is not going to help you. The ports are badly designed.

Both me and my coworker had the same problem with loose USB-C ports. My ports were replaced just 4 weeks ago after a lot of arguing with Apple but are already getting loose again. This is definitely a design flaw since the power brick on the charger never never exhibits this problem and I remove and replug it at least once a day. It's still good as new.

Is there a fix for loose USB-C ports?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.