Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 or earlier wont go into recovery mode

more details......

i have an iphone se. I know to connect my device to my computer and open itunes (itunes opens on its own once i do connect it). I get the pop up about how there is an error and itunes cant read my phone, yes i know this. I proceed with the next step to press and hold the home and the top (or side) buttons down at the same time until i see the recovery mode screen (cord and telling me to connect to itunes). but it never happens. My phone dings like i am just powering it on like normal. and the error box pops up again. so i begin again. i close itunes, disconnect my device and starting with connecting my device, then open itunes, press and hold but still no recovery screen. I worked for tech, i have done this a thousand times, what is the deal.

fyi.....phone status is disabled, i cant remember the passcode and tried to enter in the wrong one way too many times. following this article, like I know I should. not working. please advise, 3 hours away from apple retail who cant do anything anyway. i am tech so i am at a loss. may try another computer and if that works, I will update this. thank you in advance.

iPhone SE, unk as to what update i am on

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 2:29 PM

The first thing to check is your iTunes being current. The current version is 12.7.3. You need at least iTunes 12.7 to communicate to iOS 11.

Next, if in fact you have attempted Recovery Mode properly (it does sound like you have), then as this article suggests, it's time to contact Apple Support.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 2:29 PM in response to jaimelynnwood

The first thing to check is your iTunes being current. The current version is 12.7.3. You need at least iTunes 12.7 to communicate to iOS 11.

Next, if in fact you have attempted Recovery Mode properly (it does sound like you have), then as this article suggests, it's time to contact Apple Support.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Mar 6, 2018 2:47 PM in response to jaimelynnwood

You need to hold for a long time (like a minute). If it doesn't enter recovery mode you may have a bad button. Alternatively, you can go a step further to DFU mode:

• Note that you must have a computer running Windows 7 or later, or Mac OS 10.9.5 or later
  • Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer if it isn't there already (12.7.3 as of 3/6/2018)
  • Reboot your computer
  • Disable any antivirus and firewalls
  • Launch iTunes
  • Connect the device cable to a USB port on the computer (not to a USB hub), but DO NOT CONNECT TO THE DEVICE YET
  • Press and hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time for 8 seconds, until the screen turns black, then release the SLEEP button but continue holding the HOME button. If an Apple logo appears while holding both buttons you held for too long; start over.
  • While still holding the HOME button connect the other end of the cable to the device
  • You should see a message in iTunes saying a phone in Recovery mode has been detected (it may take up to a minute for the message to appear). When you see that message release the HOME button and the device should restore.

iphone 6 or earlier wont go into recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.