Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting a default language for dictation

As you may know, it is possible to dictate a message on an Apple Watch. You just have to press the mic icon located at the end of the message and speak. But there is more when it comes to dictation:

1. There are language options you can choose from. Those options are based on the keyboard languages you have added on your phone. I added 3 languages: English, spanish and portuguese. You can check yours on Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards

2. In my case, since the language I choose when first configured my phone was English, then... that is my default language for dictation. BUT you can change the language before dictate the message by firmly press the screen and selecting the desired language. Well, you have to do that EVERY TIME you dictate a message (in my case, since 99% of my dictated texts are in Spanish). Annoying....

SOLUTION:

1. Deleted English and Portuguese languages on my iPhone from Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Edit

2. Verified that my watch was updated to only Spanish by trying to dictate a message.

3. Added the two languages on my iPhone back again: Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Add New Keyboards...

4. Now the default dictation language is Spanish and the other two are just options I can choose from whenever I want

You're welcome

P.S. Preset language for dictation should be a setting. Apple, make it happen.

Apple Watch Series 3, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 11:30 AM

Thanks for the solution. But it is not working for me.

I've always had Spanish configuren on my iPhone keyboard, but when I add English, the Apple Watch understand English when I dictate, even if I hard press and change the language to Spanish. Any solutions besides deleting the English Keyboard?

Similar questions

1 reply

Setting a default language for dictation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.