Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the iPhone 8plus water proof?

Hi I have a question about the IPhone 8 Plus I have and I dropped it in the toliet it seems to be working but I did put it in rice is my phone waterproof and if so to what extent?

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 6:58 PM

It's water resistant, it is not waterproof.

It can resist splashing and dust to some extent, but its not recommended to submerge it in water.

Read here for details:

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

11 replies

Mar 5, 2018 9:03 PM in response to maddie264

Theoretically it meets the IP67 standard for water resistance at the factory, which means that it's supposed to be able to handle up to 30 minutes of submersion in water at 1 meter depth without water intruding into the case. I think most people would consider that "waterproof" enough for maybe dropping in a toilet and fishing it out.

However, Apple doesn't guarantee it. If you read the "fine print" they say their water and dust resistance aren't "permanent conditions" and it's pretty obvious that once it's sealed in the box they don't guarantee it.

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

Your iPhone is splash, water, and dust resistant and was tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions, and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty.

Mar 7, 2018 11:04 AM in response to Community User

AZSchuck wrote:

It can go in water 1m for 30 minutes.

No, no it can't.

From the link provided by y_p_w and myself above:

Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent

To prevent liquid damage, avoid these:

• Swimming or bathing with your iPhone
  • Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
  • Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room
  • Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water

It may withstand such actions more than once. But it is not something that should be considered ever as a feature of the iPhone nor relied upon. water resistance can decline with time.

Mar 7, 2018 11:17 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

It may withstand such actions more than once. But it is not something that should be considered ever as a feature of the iPhone nor relied upon. water resistance can decline with time.

Of Apple doesn't come anywhere close to guaranteeing the water resistance with warranty repairs for water intrusion. Even if it were brand new or if an iPhone was handed back to the customer after taking off the case and placing it on their rig to check for the alignment/seal.

The have been commercials for other portable devices (i.e. from Samsung) demonstrating their use by someone in a shower, dropped into a sink full of dishwater, or dropped into a muddy puddle of grass. I heard they're fighting with customers who are claiming water damage from similar conditions. To my knowledge, Apple only claims IP67 water resistance as an aside and it's not marketed as being water resistant.

Mar 7, 2018 11:24 AM in response to y_p_w

y_p_w wrote:

Phil0124 wrote:

Of Apple doesn't come anywhere close to guaranteeing the water resistance with warranty repairs for water intrusion. Even if it were brand new or if an iPhone was handed back to the customer after taking off the case and placing it on their rig to check for the alignment/seal.

The have been commercials for other portable devices (i.e. from Samsung) demonstrating their use by someone in a shower, dropped into a sink full of dishwater, or dropped into a muddy puddle of grass. I heard they're fighting with customers who are claiming water damage from similar conditions. To my knowledge, Apple only claims IP67 water resistance as an aside and it's not marketed as being water resistant.

Exactly. Submerging in water should be avoided.

Mar 7, 2018 12:06 PM in response to y_p_w

This is so (insert word here) dumb that people are actually that stupid enough to simulate what's on TV because they saw it on some dumb commercial. Even Beavis and Butt-head, if given one aren't that stupid.

Phil0124: Submerging in water should be avoided? Well if the TV said I can do that, then I can do it. Like I mentioned above, some people don't get it. I'd NEVER do that with my phone. Even if it's raining, my phone does not come out of my pocket or from the beltclip. If it's a torrential downpour, then it gets moved to the laptop section of my bag.

Mar 7, 2018 12:18 PM in response to Driver8666

Driver8666 wrote:

This is so (insert word here) dumb that people are actually that stupid enough to simulate what's on TV because they saw it on some dumb commercial. Even Beavis and Butt-head, if given one aren't that stupid.

Well - Apple barely acknowledges anything about IP67. It's apparently a big selling point with Samsung (which claims IP68) that they even put it in the user manual. They say all this stuff about what it means and "don't exceed" but finally end up with "it still might be damaged by water".

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201602/20160222111252982/SM-G935_UM _EU_Marshmallow_Eng_Rev.1.0_160219.pdf

Maintaining water and dust resistance

Your device supports water- and dust-resistance. Follow these tips carefully to maintain the water- and dust-resistance of your device. Failure to do so may result in damage to your device.

• Do not immerse the device in water deeper than 1.5 m and keep it submerged for more than 30 minutes.

• Do not expose the device to water moving with force, such as running water from taps, ocean waves, or waterfalls.

• If the device is exposed to clean water, dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth. If the device is exposed to other liquids, rinse it with clean water and dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth. If you do not follow these instructions, the device’s performance and appearance may be affected.

• If the device has been immersed in water or the microphone, speaker, or receiver is wet, sound may not be heard clearly during a call. Wipe the device with a dry cloth or dry it thoroughly before using it.

• The touchscreen and other features may not work properly if the device is used in water.

• Your device has been tested in a controlled environment and certified to be water- and dust-resistant in specific situations (meets requirements of classification IP68 as described by the international standard IEC 60529-Degrees of Protection provided by Enclosures [IP Code]; test conditions: 15-35°C, 86-106 kPa, 1.5 metre, 30 minutes). Despite this classification, it is still possible for your device to be damaged in certain situations.

Mar 7, 2018 12:54 PM in response to Driver8666

Driver8666 wrote:

Then again, you, me and Phil0124 have had to deal with people that can't tell the difference between "water resistant" and "water proof".

They claim IP68 and put that in the user manual? Ballsy.

For me waterproof means that you can swim with a device or leave it in relatively shallow water indefinitely. "50M WATER RESISTANT" on a Casio watch definitely means that's it's OK in a swimming pool.

The biggest problem with IP67/68 is that it really doesn't last forever. Even if you could do it once, whatever is in the water may compromise the seal for the next time it gets wet.

Is the iPhone 8plus water proof?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.