Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos library will not repair, will not open

My Photos library uses iCloud Photo Library, and is on Dropbox to use on three Macs. On each one I cannot open it, even using the restart/Cmd/Option approach - I get this msg:

Photos must quit because the photo library has become unavailable or its data is corrupt.

Any help please?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 11:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 6:08 AM

I tested a few times with a small Photos Library in Dropbox. It stopped working, as soon as I opened it on another computer and the changes synced back.

Apple advises against, see: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for OS X - Apple Support

User uploaded file If you store your Photos library in a location that's part of a cloud service (for example, Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive), your library might be damaged by the syncing process. As a result, you could lose photos.

To see your photos on all your devices, you can use iCloud Photo Library. To back up your library, you can use Time Machine.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2018 6:08 AM in response to happysailor

I tested a few times with a small Photos Library in Dropbox. It stopped working, as soon as I opened it on another computer and the changes synced back.

Apple advises against, see: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for OS X - Apple Support

User uploaded file If you store your Photos library in a location that's part of a cloud service (for example, Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive), your library might be damaged by the syncing process. As a result, you could lose photos.

To see your photos on all your devices, you can use iCloud Photo Library. To back up your library, you can use Time Machine.

Mar 21, 2018 6:45 AM in response to happysailor

Referenced files can be combined in a smart album.

• Create a new smart album using the command "File > New Smart album".
  • Then set the rule for the smart album to "Photo is referenced".

Now select all images in this album and use the command "File > Consolidate".

This will copy all original image files into the Photos Library, provided the original image files can be found by Photos.

Mar 6, 2018 6:36 AM in response to léonie

Thanks - but confusing! SO I have iCloud Photo Library on, and the options to store there and use on each iMac and iPhone.... so is my library on BOTH Dropbox (as in the Photos preferences) AND iCloud? If so, how do I get each iMac to only sync with the iCloud version... and each other?

BTW - the Dropbox Photos library did just repair, so I'll copy it to my Pictures folder... assume that will sync w iCloud? It is only 45Gb though, whereas it was 186Gb before..

Mar 6, 2018 7:01 AM in response to happysailor

iCloud Photo Library will need a local Photos Library somewhere on your Mac, either in your Pictures folder or on a locally mounted external drive. To make the version of your library you copied out of Dropbox your iCloud Photo Library, double click the copied version to open it in Photos, then open the "Photos > Preferences > General" and click "Use as System Photo Library", if this option is not grayed out. Then open "Photos > Preferences > iCloud" and enable iCloud Photos Library.

If so, how do I get each iMac to only sync with the iCloud version... and each other?

Keep the library out of Dropbox. Your Macs and your mobile devices will sync with the iCloud version of your library, if iCloud Photo Library is enabled. iCloud will store the full version of your library and sync this library with the local libraries on your devices, so the Photos Libraries on all devices will be identical.

It is only 45Gb though, whereas it was 186Gb before..

Has it been 186Gb before you started the iCloud Sync, or before you moved it back from dropbox? Or before you started the Repair? It is hard to tell, if the syncing with Dropbox damaged the library so bad, that photos have been lost, or if the syncing with iCloud removed originals.

iCloud Photo Library can reduce the size of the local library , when you use "Optimize Storage". That is intended.

Do you have a backup of the library from before you moved it to Dropbox?

Mar 11, 2018 11:54 PM in response to LarryHN

I will check - they are in different locations. I guess only one machine should have “make system library” checked and the others should have all the iCloud options checked?

But can I ask - does the library copy across to the new Pictures folder location on machines where it wasn’t previously, if all iCloud options are checked in Sys. prefs?

Kind Regards,

Mark ****

<Edited by Host>

Mar 11, 2018 2:34 PM in response to happysailor

no - all systems have to have the library you want to sync set as the system library for that system - ICPL only works with the system library

But can I ask - does the library copy across to the new Pictures folder location on machines where it wasn’t previously, if all iCloud options are checked in Sys. prefs?

It does not "copy" anywhere - it syncs with the system library on each connected system

LN

Mar 21, 2018 4:06 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi - new question: Using the "new" library now in Pictures foldeer, I get this msg;

"1,877 referenced files in your library will not upload to iCloud Photo Library.

Select referenced files in your library and choose “Consolidate” from the File menu to copy the original files into the library."

How can I batch-select all 1877 referenced files? How to spot a referenced file?

Photos library will not repair, will not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.