Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extensions won't enable in Safari 11.1

Hello,

Yesterday I noticed that something wrong occurred with my Safari settings, changing my homepage, search engine, and disabling my extensions. I've fixed the first two, but the last one seems to have a more complicated solution.

I can't add any extensions because they are disabled. Safari preferences tells me I can enable them via the Develop menu. Issue is, no matter how many times I click it, the "Disable Extensions" won't uncheck. I've tried restarting both the application and my computer. Not sure what the next step is. Please advise.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), with 4TB Newer Technology miniStack

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 6:25 AM

14 replies

Mar 7, 2018 8:55 AM in response to Thorne Marais

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

This may require a reset of some other Preferences.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Apr 4, 2018 9:47 PM in response to Thorne Marais

I have the exact same problem - occurred after installing the 10.13.4 Mac OS updater today. Have been scouring the Internet looking for a resolution. Can't find one, have tried everything from Terminal commands to editing the Safari plist with Xcode. My final workaround now is to set Chrome as my default browser. I can't live without extensions, especially password manager Dashlane. Cheers, B

Apr 18, 2018 8:47 PM in response to Thorne Marais

Just experienced this problem today. It seemed to happen (or at least I first noticed the problem) shortly after uninstalling the Adobe Flash player from another admin account on the computer.

It was impossible to remove the check next to the "Disable Extensions" option on the Developer menu from my account

After two reboots the extensions were enabled and working again. Very strange.

Extensions won't enable in Safari 11.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.