Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my typed text 'jump up' to the line above where I'm typing?

EtreCheck version: 4.1 (4A162)

Report generated: 2018-03-07 12:13:32

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 1:58

Performance: Excellent

Problem: Other problem

Description:

When typing responses to messages in the Apple Communities forums, very often the text which I am typing ‘jumps up’ to the line above. I can then cut and paste it back into it’s proper, intended, place but it does this multiple times, depending of course on the message length.

I hope I’ve explained that sufficiently well!

Major Issues: None

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems.

Small backup drive - Time Machine backup drive is too small.

Insufficient permissions - EtreCheck running under a standard user. Diagnostic information may not be available.

32-bit Apps - This machine has 32-bits apps that may have problems in the future.

Hardware Information:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

iMac Model: iMac18,3

1 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5 (i5-7600K) CPU: 4-core

8 RAM At maximum

BANK 0/DIMM0

4 GB DDR4 2400 ok

BANK 0/DIMM1

Empty

BANK 1/DIMM0

4 GB DDR4 2400 ok

BANK 1/DIMM1

Empty

Video Information:

Radeon Pro 580 - VRAM: 8 GB

iMac 5120 x 2880

Drives:

disk0 - APPLE SSD SM0128L 121.33 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

Internal PCI-Express 8.0 GT/s x4 NVM Express

disk0s1 - EFI [EFI] 315 MB

disk0s2 [Core Storage Container] 120.88 GB

disk2 - Macintosh HD (Journaled HFS+) [Fusion Drive] 2.11 TB

disk0s3 - B*******X [Recovery] 134 MB

disk1 - APPLE HDD ST2000DM001 2.00 TB (Mechanical)

Internal SATA 6 Gigabit Serial ATA

disk1s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB

disk1s2 [Core Storage Container] 2.00 TB

disk2 - Macintosh HD (Journaled HFS+) [Fusion Drive] 2.11 TB

disk1s3 - Recovery HD [Recovery] 650 MB

disk3 - JMicron Samsung S2 Portable 160.04 GB

External USB 480 Mbit/s

disk3s1 - S*****G (Journaled HFS+) 160.04 GB

Mounted Volumes:

disk2 - Macintosh HD [Fusion Drive] 2.11 TB (2.00 TB free)

Journaled HFS+

Mount point: /

disk3s1 - S*****G 160.04 GB (44.14 GB free)

Journaled HFS+

Mount point: /Volumes/S*****G

Network:

Interface en0: Ethernet

Interface en1: Wi-Fi

802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

One IPv4 address

3 IPv6 addresses

Interface en4: Bluetooth PAN

Interface bridge0: Thunderbolt Bridge

iCloud Quota: 17.75 GB available

System Software:

macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (17D102)

Time since boot: About 2 days

System Load: 1.17 (1 min ago) 1.26 (5 min ago) 1.28 (15 min ago)

Security:

SystemStatus
GatekeeperMac App Store and identified developers
System Integrity ProtectionEnabled

32-bit Applications:

NameVersion
quicklookd325.0
DVD Player5.8
InkServer10.9

System Launch Agents:

[Not Loaded] 8 Apple tasks
[Loaded] 158 Apple tasks
[Running] 124 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons:

[Not Loaded] 36 Apple tasks
[Loaded] 172 Apple tasks
[Running] 123 Apple tasks

Launch Daemons:

[Running] com.zenmate.charon-xpc.plist (ZenGuard GmbH - installed 2018-01-15)

User Login Items:

ZenMate Application (ZenGuard GmbH

(/Applications/ZenMate.app)

Internet Plug-ins:

QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (installed 2018-01-23)

Time Machine:

Skip System Files: No

Mobile backups:

Auto backup: Yes

Volumes being backed up:

Macintosh HD: Disk size: 2.11 TB - Disk used: 113.83 GB

Destinations:

S*****G [Local] (Last used)

Total size: 160.04 GB

Total number of backups: 30

Oldest backup: 2018-03-01 21:18:55

Last backup: 2018-03-07 11:49:44

Top Processes by CPU:

Process (count)Source% of CPU
WindowServerApple3
ZenMateZenGuard GmbH2
kernel_taskApple1
syspolicydApple0
trustd (5)Apple0

Top Processes by Memory:

Process (count)SourceRAM usage
kernel_taskApple1011 MB
com.apple.WebKit.WebContent (2)Apple579 MB
thunderbirdMozilla Corporation536 MB
WindowServerApple264 MB
mdworker (8)Apple206 MB

Top Processes by Network Use:

ProcessSourceInputOutput
com.zenmate.charon-xpcZenGuard GmbH1.97 GB314 MB
mDNSResponderApple2 MB1 MB
netbiosdApple441 KB510 KB
SystemUIServerApple0 B2 KB
kernel_taskApple0 B0 B

Top Processes by Energy Use:

Process (count)SourceEnergy usage (0-100)
WindowServerApple3
ZenMateZenGuard GmbH2
com.apple.WebKit.NetworkingApple0
com.zenmate.charon-xpcZenGuard GmbH0
com.apple.WebKit.WebContent (2)Apple0

Virtual Memory Information:

Available RAM1.93 GB
Free RAM17 MB
Used RAM6.07 GB
Cached files1.91 GB
Swap Used180 MB

Software Installs (past 30 days):

NameVersionInstall Date
EasyFind4.9.32018-03-02

Diagnostics Information (past 7 days):

2018-03-05 06:53:15 Last Shutdown Cause: 3 - Hard shutdown

Directory /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports is not accessible.

Run as an administrator account to see more information.

End of report

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 27 inch - Purchased January 2018

Posted on Mar 7, 2018 4:20 AM

Similar questions

31 replies

Mar 10, 2018 1:55 AM in response to HunterBD

This may just be a bug in the software that Apple uses for the ASC part of th website and not, necessarily an issue with your computer/

I access the ASC from both my iDevices and Mac and I have noticed this cursor jump sometimes when trying to paste something into a reply, the cursor will jump to another location when trying to do the paste instead of pasting at the current position I put the cursor at.

The cursor jump is usually a jump upwards in the body of my replies.

I think it is an ASC bug and not a computer or mobile device issue.

Mar 10, 2018 2:44 AM in response to HunterBD

ZenMate is a VPN. An offsite web server service to more securely and anonymously surf the web.

Sometimes third party VPNs are not the most reliable or trustworthy, as basically you are accessing the web through another remote, offsite web server which may or may not be secure, itself, and VPNs can have adverse effects when browsing websites which can cause all sorts of various web browser/website glitches because of the connection to the VPN.

This is one of the reasons I have been on the fence about using web VPN services or not.

That and the monthly fee some of these VPN services charge.

Mar 10, 2018 3:13 PM in response to HunterBD

I can see my own posts here and so can anyone else, just as I can see everyone else's replies (unless, of course, they've been removed by the hosts).

So, I do not know why you are asking everyone about my posts and I do not understand your fascination with them. I would appreciate if you did not make these conversations so personal or I will no longer try to help/respond; tech support forums usually are not (and that is why I am here and do not have social media accounts). My response at the time meant to convey that of course, yes, your VPN may have something to do with the Zenmate since Zenmate IS/provides a VPN, which was very easy to see once I googled Zenmate (which you could have very easily done as well). As well, you were inquiring about a problem with a third party app - nothing to do with an Apple product.

Mar 10, 2018 5:10 PM in response to HunterBD

Just to Interject a little here.

Before installing ANY new third party software, check the software developer’s web site to see if it contains any uninstall instructions for their software.

NEVER, EVER install software that has NO developer instructions or easy way to uninstall such software, EVER!

If you can't find the uninstall instructions on the ZenMate website, then I was correct.

This VPN software could BE causing issues, may not be safe and secure and could, actually BE a form of malware, garbageware!

If you cannot find, easily, uninstall instructions for the ZenMate VPN, this is a HUGE red flag!

Mar 10, 2018 3:32 PM in response to babowa

There appears to be an element of confusion here. 😕

This morning, I received a message from a poster called 'seventy one' - he said he could NOT see your posts. However, for whatever reason HIS message to me has been deleted by what I'm now aware are known as our 'Hosts'.

You can read what he said here:-

Why am I receiving this message from Apple?

An extract is .....

I'll try and answer but without the original posts that will be difficult.

I didn't see Babowa's post but I have never seen Babowa write a dubious post.

=

I'm fully aware of ZenMate. I'm one of their 40 million subscribing customers.

It should now be evident to you that jumping text as I've described has NOTHING to do with ZenMate.

HTH

Mar 10, 2018 4:24 PM in response to HunterBD

HunterBD wrote:

There appears to be an element of confusion here. 😕

That is why it is in everyone's best interests that users avoid violating the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.

I'm fully aware of ZenMate. I'm one of their 40 million subscribing customers.

It should now be evident to you that jumping text as I've described has NOTHING to do with ZenMate.

According to your EtreCheck report, ZenMate is one of the few system modifications you have installed. While I agree that it doesn't seem likely that a VPN would cause the symptoms you describe, I've seen some really weird things. With software anything is possible. If you want to have a good experience here on Apple Support Communities, you need to follow people's instructions. Debugging computers via internet forums is not an easy task. The only way to prove ZenMate is innocent is to uninstall it. If you still have the problem, then it is something else. It is common practice to recommend uninstalling 3rd party software as a way to track down a problem. You can reinstall it later if you want. We are just trying to find the source of the problem.

Mar 22, 2018 2:02 AM in response to MadMacs0

MadMacs0 wrote:

Just spotted this article referenced today: VPN Leaks Found on 3 Major VPNs out of … 3 that We Tested.

We tested 3 popular VPNs: Hotspot Shield, PureVPN, and Zenmate with accredited researchers to find if the VPNs could leak data.

While we hoped to find zero leaks, we regretfully found that all of them leak sensitive data.

On the positive side, after we contacted the VPN vendors, we saw one that was fast to respond and release a patch within days. We are still waiting to hear from the other two VPN vendors, and have decided to publish the information in hope that they will hurry up and fix the underlying issues for the benefit of their users.

Zenmate’s leak was somewhat minor compared to the two other VPNs.

Thank you so much for providing this additional information, 'MadMacs0'. I apologise for failing to respond earlier but trust you saw the explanation kindly provided by 'babowa'.

I have enjoyed our other interactions here on ASC, some of which, sadly, have now been removed by the moderators.

Has anyone previously suggested that it might be helpful to users to have a 'Private Message' facility for personal conversations which would not contravene the rules set out here? Apple Support Communities Use Agreement

I have now read them again much more carefully. I didn't mean to 'upset the Apple cart', so to speak! 😉

Kind regards,

D.

Mar 10, 2018 4:46 PM in response to HunterBD

He didn't say he "couldn't" see it; he said he "didn't" see it. That makes the meaning completely different. I do not "see" all the posts all of the time - why? Because I scan through them or simply do not read them.

You keep arguing pointlessly, ask personal and/or redundant and pointless questions, some of which violate the ToU, and do not follow the instructions or advice offered.

Unless you post a technical question about an Apple product which is easy to answer and doesn't invite arguments, I need to choose to no longer attempt to help as it is a frustrating endeavor.

Mar 10, 2018 4:59 PM in response to HunterBD

HunterBD wrote:

How do you recommend that I uninstall ZenMate?

I don't know. I checked the website and there is no uninstaller available, nor are there any uninstallation instructions. I even installed it and found nothing. Usually that is a Big Red Flag.

I suggest you do a Google search for "zenmate adware".

For me, uninstallation is as easy as clicking "Go to snapshot" in Parallels. You will have more work to do. You will need to uninstall the following:

/Applications/ZenMate.app/

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.zenmate.charon-xpc

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.zenmate.charon-xpc.plist

If you do some kind of file search, you might find more files, but these are the only ones that matter.

Mar 11, 2018 6:05 AM in response to MichelPM

FWIW, ZenMate was available some long while ago as an extension to the Google Chrome browser. In fact, it still is!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zenmate-vpn-best-cyber-se/fdcgdnkidjaa dafnichfpabhfomcebme?hl=en-US

I have monitored the company from its inception - as they were offering positions in Germany, which may have suited my youngest nephew; he graduated with a first class degree in languages from Sheffield University last year.

For anyone interested in the truth of matters. I am writing this message from my 'old' iMac - running El Capitan. I'm also typing with ZenMate connected.

There has been no - I repeat, NO - jumping of the text to the line above whilst typing this message.

Had I had an explanation for the phenomenon, I would not have asked here.

HTH

D.

Mar 12, 2018 9:03 PM in response to HunterBD

I see no reason to suspect ZenMate is the issue here, but never having observed it myself, I can't offer you a solution, either.

But, VPN is always a slippery slope. It was a great solution for it's original purpose of providing secure connection to a business for employees requiring remote access, but for other uses that are prevalent today, there's a lot to consider.

The criteria needs to be that it's an organization you fully trust, and that's tough to determine. Whoever you pick will have access to every bit of data and business you conduct on the Internet. They all publish their privacy policies somewhere and you should read them, but can you completely believe what they tell you there?

This site has been around for several years and has seemingly up-to-date information on almost two hundred providers that may be helpful <https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/>. I see a few red flags for ZenMate, but they all seem to have at least a few.

Mar 13, 2018 1:02 AM in response to MadMacs0

Many thanks for your contribution, 'MadMac0' 🙂

I was confident that Google would have vetted ZenMate before approving its use as one of their extensions. I was aware that it was a new start-up venture when they were advertising for staff - it caught my eye as a possible place of employment for my nephew. He's actually gone to work in Central America for a while!

My suspicion is that there's a 'bug' in High Sierra - maybe it will be gone after the next revision of the OS. We'll see!

D.

Why does my typed text 'jump up' to the line above where I'm typing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.