Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not opening in Photos app

Here is what I am running. I have a iPhone 8+, a iMac late 2009 running High Sierra and a mid 2009 MacBook Pro with El Capitan that was just given to me. When using the MBP and opening Photos, I see all my pictures there, even the ones I had just taken with my phone. But when I go to open them by double clicking, It opens up an exclamation point. It does not do that with all my photos, just some. I can open one or two in a group, for example if I took 10 photos of my daughter, one or two will open. It will open photos I have saved form the internet. It will play one movie I made in iMovie, but not the other one. Videos of my kids playing say "Photos cannot play this video. Do you want to try it in QuickTime Player?" When I click and hold to see the Live action of the Live Photos, it just turns burry blurry. I have already tried to repair the Photos Library by holding option + command and that didn't work. I also tried to reinstall a fresh version of El Capitan to no avail. I am kind of stuck on this short of going to Apple for help.

MacBook Pro, iOS 11.2.6, Photos

Posted on Mar 7, 2018 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 3:39 AM

See this document, on how to handle the new image and videos formats on an iPhone with iOS 11:

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 8, 2018 1:18 PM in response to 3dayzofthecondor

what IOS do you have on the iPhone? Best guess with the scant information you provided is that you have IOS 11.x and have not set the IOS Photos preferences to automatically use the most compatible format for your Mac - if that is the case the solution is to either make the correct setting on your iPhone or to upgrade your Mac to High Sierra which supports the new HEIC format

LN

Photos not opening in Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.