Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos can't be opened - it just shows exclamation mark

Hi,

I'm using icloud to share the pictures I take with my iPhone with my other units, especially my MacBook Pro. I don't have any problems to share the pictures and I can access them from all my units. BUT, I can only see thumbnails. As soon as I try to open a picture a triangle with a exclamation mark ⚠ is shown. Only a view photos, I think those that I have edited, can be opened and seen normal.

Hopefully somebody can help me to solve this very irritating problem! 😕

THANK YOU.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015)

Posted on Aug 25, 2018 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2018 10:25 AM

BUT, I can only see thumbnails. As soon as I try to open a picture a triangle with a exclamation mark is shown.

It may be a problem of the image format. Look at the filename of the photos, that you cannot open. Is the filename extension of the photo ".heic"?

Then your Mac needs to be running the macOS 10.13 High Sierra or newer.

Which system version do you have installed on the Mac and which system version is running on the iPhone? If the filename extension of the photos is ".heic", read this document. It describes how to change the settings on the iPhone to "Most Compatible", so a Mac with an older system can read the photos. Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2018 10:25 AM in response to christinefromsigtuna

BUT, I can only see thumbnails. As soon as I try to open a picture a triangle with a exclamation mark is shown.

It may be a problem of the image format. Look at the filename of the photos, that you cannot open. Is the filename extension of the photo ".heic"?

Then your Mac needs to be running the macOS 10.13 High Sierra or newer.

Which system version do you have installed on the Mac and which system version is running on the iPhone? If the filename extension of the photos is ".heic", read this document. It describes how to change the settings on the iPhone to "Most Compatible", so a Mac with an older system can read the photos. Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Photos can't be opened - it just shows exclamation mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.