Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nikon D850 .NEF files are not supported thumbnail preview in iMac 2017 with High Sierra. Can someone here help?

I have been trying to figure out why my new 2017 iMac does not support thumbnail preview of .NEF files captured by Nikon D850 camera. Called Apple to no avail. Can any experts in the field help solve this mystery, please?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 7, 2018 6:52 PM

11 replies

Mar 8, 2018 10:12 AM in response to charlesfromfitchburg

Are you certain that you have applied all possible updates to 10.13.3 from the Mac App Store Updates panel?

I have the D850 raw images visible (provided Finder View menu : Show Preview is enabled) in list, column, and cover flow modes. There will be no image shown in ordinary Finder, or Cover Flow icons. And Quick Look does a nice enlargement.

Apple can only provide what is given to them by Nikon. The issue may be on the Nikon end, and with version 1.0 firmware in the D850, it may have something to do with the raw image content itself, and potentially, the arrival of a newer camera firmware update, and newer content provided to Apple.

Mar 8, 2018 1:02 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thumbnails in Icon View and Cover Flow are not available (just get an aperture logo with "NEF" typed under) for any raw files from the D850.

I turned "Show Preview" on in Finder under the View menu in toolbar and at least I can see an enlargement if I click on an individual file.

I guess this will have to do until Nikon or Apple solves this issue. I am under the impression this is more of a Nikon issue than an Apple issue. Time will tell.

If I really need to view thumbnails, for now, I can always convert them to a DNG file or view them in Adobe Bridge or Lightroom or View NX-i

Mar 9, 2018 7:23 AM in response to charlesfromfitchburg

I first called Apple, and they said that because it is about Nikon, call Nikon. I then called Nikon, and Nikon told me that if I use Nikon software to work with images, I would be able to preview them in their software, with no issues. Because Apple is a third-party to Nikon, they cannot do anything to solve any Nikon issues working on a Mac.

Nikon D850 .NEF files are not supported thumbnail preview in iMac 2017 with High Sierra. Can someone here help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.