Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Mac Preview and .swf (Flash) files placed in pdf files

Does Mac Preview not open .swf (Flash) files that are inside pdf files? I'd like to view occasional simple animations inside pdfs, but, unlike Acrobat, Preview doesn't seem to open them.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 11, 2018 6:58 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk In response to QuickTimeKirk

I don't remember Macs ever opening .swf files without third-party add-ons but I've only been using them for 30+ years. Perhaps I just forget. Not sure what that has to do with opening them in Preview now however.

But thanks.

Mar 11, 2018 6:58 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 11, 2018 7:03 AM in response to dialabrain In response to dialabrain

QuickTime Player version 5, 6 and 7 could open a Flash file coded as one version earlier. So QuickTime 5 could open Flash 4 files but not Flash 5.

Preview is based on Picture Viewer which shipped to both Mac's and PC's when you download QuickTime Player.

Apple pulled support and playback of Flash formats in a QuickTime container in version 7.3.

FLV files replaced SWF files many years ago and the free Perian component could view them.

Mar 11, 2018 7:03 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: sloan48

Question: Mac Preview and .swf (Flash) files placed in pdf files