Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Counterfeit Charger?

Well my old Macbook Pro (13in) charger finally gave up the goat and is frayed at both ends of the actual charging cable so I went to acquire a new one.

Funnily, they don't appear to actually be available in Apple's store anymore. Go figure.
As I definitely do NOT have the money for a new laptop, I perused the internet until I found a 60W MagSafe Apple charger on Wal-Mart's online shop.

It was the only half-way legitimate looking charger I could find after reviews on Amazon's supposedly straight from apple one revealed that it was not guaranteed legitimate. Money is tight so I figured I'd take my chances with the less expensive one than the more expensive one.

So I placed the order on the walmart charger, and it arrived safely. All of the text on it seems legitimate (I cannot compare directly to my old charger as the text on that rubbed off long ago), but the charging cable is about two inches shorter than my old cable and is thinner than my old cable. I'm 90% sure that it is in fact counterfeit, and now I'm not sure what to do. I can't seem to find legitimate cords anywhere and I've heard horror stories about using counterfeits.

TL;DR: I believe I purchased a counterfeit charging cord and I don't know what to do.

Charge Cord

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2018 4:25 PM

FrustratedKit wrote:

Funnily, they don't appear to actually be available in Apple's store anymore.

Still available. Both 60W and 85W versions.

Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter - Apple

Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adapter - Apple

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 9, 2018 10:50 PM in response to FrustratedKit

FrustratedKit wrote:

where did you find these??? I looked all day and couldn't find them ;-; Bookmarked the link, gonna wait for information on what to do with the counterfeit cord in the meantime, but this is massively helpful, thank you!

Google search. Just "60W magsafe". The one for the 85W one is right there as a "Recommended" item near the bottom,. If I was going to pay full price I'd just get the 85W one since it's the same price. It won't charge any faster, but Apple says it is compatible. Some people feel that a more powerful adapter should run cooler.

There are a bunch of ways from the Apple website (showing how to navigate):

Start here: Apple

Click on Mac: Mac - Apple

Click on Accessories: Buy Mac Accessories - Apple

Click on Power & Cables: Power & Cables - Mac Accessories - Apple

The 60W and 85W MagSafe power adapters are near the bottom.

Amazon has them too (sold directly by Amazon):

Amazon.com: Apple MagSafe 60W Power Adapter for MacBook MC461LL/A (for MacBook and 13-inch MacBook Pro): Computers & Acc…

Amazon.com: Apple 85W Magsafe Portable Power Adapter (MC556LL/B): Computers & Accessories

Mar 10, 2018 8:36 AM in response to FrustratedKit

FrustratedKit wrote:

Omg. Thank you!

Though regarding the amazon ones; I actually was looking at those particular ones and the reviews made me shy away since a large number of people got counterfeits through them. That's why I went through walmart to begin with. ^^;

I know there's a lot to wade through with Amazon. However, the ones I linked are specifically where they're sold by Amazon and not some other party (Amazon Marketplace or Fulfilled by Amazon where they don't technically sell it but provide the logistics/warehousing). Amazon is an Apple Authorized Reseller and the parts they sell directly are authentic Apple. You would need to look for where it says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."

Mar 10, 2018 8:45 AM in response to y_p_w

Yes, but a large number of the people who ordered from the specific link you sent me somehow received counterfeits anyways, even when they made sure that it was shipping from Amazon directly. For the third time; that is why I opted against buying my cord off of Amazon. Because even the Apple-Approved link, according to reviews, had a high chance of being a counterfeit product. I said as much in my original post. I reiterated it when you linked me to the Direct from Amazon item. Somehow there are still people receiving counterfeits from it.

Mar 10, 2018 12:14 PM in response to FrustratedKit

FrustratedKit wrote:

Yes, but a large number of the people who ordered from the specific link you sent me somehow received counterfeits anyways, even when they made sure that it was shipping from Amazon directly. For the third time; that is why I opted against buying my cord off of Amazon. Because even the Apple-Approved link, according to reviews, had a high chance of being a counterfeit product. I said as much in my original post. I reiterated it when you linked me to the Direct from Amazon item. Somehow there are still people receiving counterfeits from it.

Well - I saw the reviews and the big issue seems to be that they have a variety of sellers. If Amazon is out of stock then the seller at the top will be one of their "Marketplace Sellers". Some say that they're selling used ones, counterfeits, or clearly generic. If you look at the "Other Sellers on Amazon" it's a variety ones sold as used/refurbished/new old stock/etc. But the reviews are all lumped together and not everyone is specific about who the seller is. It's also possible for anyone to put in a review even if it was ordered from a different listing - like this one:

Amazon.com: Apple 60W MagSafe 1 Power Adapter, MacBook 13 inch and MacBook Pro Charger with AC Extension Cord Magsafe 1 …

I'm not saying that you have to buy from Amazon, but if Amazon is selling it directly then it's a new OEM apple device. Buying directly Apple isn't going to cost that much more in any case. If it was the difference between paying $77 from Amazon or $79 at an Apple Store, I'd go to an Apple Store.

Macbook Pro Counterfeit Charger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.