Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme reserves ip but ping fails

Hi,

I have an Airport Extreme 802.11ac which is connected to Internet via FIOS on the WAN port. The AEX is connected via a cable to a switch which connects two PCs running Win 10.

Using Airport Utility 134.22 on an iPad I am reserving two addresses (192.168.1.180 and 192.168.1.190) for the two PCs and naming them in the description field.

On each of the PCs ipconfig shows that the IP addresses are correctly assigned. However, when I try to ping one machine from the other using the ip address the ping times out. When using the machine name (the 'description' field in the Reserve screen) ping reports that the host name is not known ('Ping request could not find host ...').

What could I be missing?

Thanks,

Vladimir

P.S. When reserving another address (192.168.1.170) for a PC running Ubuntu and naming it, I can ping it from a Win machine using the IP address but not the name. I cannot ping the Win machine from the Ubuntu one though.

null-OTHER, Windows 10, Airport Extreme

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 1:33 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Mar 11, 2018 9:56 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks LaPastenague for your reply.

(1) I can ping internet addresses:

C:\>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [172.217.12.206] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 172.217.12.206: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=56

(2) the FIOS ethernet wire goes directly into the AEX WAN port. User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The output from AEX goes into a switch which connects via a wire to the ATC. AEX is in DHCP and NAT mode, while the ATC is in Bridge mode. AEX and ATC define two different wireless networks. If this works, I will merge the two (extend).

(3) The names of the PCs match (case sensitive) what I have in the configuration.

C:\>hostname

Burebista

C:\>ipconfig

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : verizon.net

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.180

User uploaded file

(4) I am not running any security software that would block ping. In fact, with my current Optimum router (which I am trying to replace with the AEX) I can ping all machines from any other machine.

(5) The default domain in the win machines is WORKGROUP.

C:\>ping 192.168.1.170 // this the Ubuntu machine

Pinging 192.168.1.170 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.170: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

C:\>ping scorilo // this the Ubuntu machine

Ping request could not find host scorilo. Please check the name and try again.

Thanks again for your time,

Vladimir

Mar 11, 2018 2:00 PM in response to puiuvlad

Great job posting all the details.

(4) I am not running any security software that would block ping. In fact, with my current Optimum router (which I am trying to replace with the AEX) I can ping all machines from any other machine.

This is the key bit of info. I presume you deliberately moved the IP of the Airport Extreme to match Optimum router.

That may not be a great idea. The airport is definitely happier on its default.

I think the problem is a mix of domain issues.. and DNS.

In the airport Extreme.. I want you to swap the DNS values.

So open the edit in the airport utility.. go to the Extreme's Internet tab and set the DNS values manually.

The first DNS server should be the Airport Extreme itself. As per the screenshot below.

The second DNS server should be your first verizon DNS.. 68.237.161.12 (my screenshot shows my own).

User uploaded file

If you are not using IPv6 then change the configure IPv6 to link-local only in the Internet options.

User uploaded file

Save that and apply it.

Shut down all the clients after you change the values and restart them all. You should include the Time Capsule and switch in that as well. Every device on the network should be restarted. That is to force the DNS change in all the clients.. but I would also like you to check that the clients have actually changed.

First ping check then if the computer is able to ping the router .. ie 192.168.1.1

Then ping it by name, which is going to change to airport_extreme (the name with the space is not a valid name.. your TC name is also much too long and apostrophe is not legal character.. apple changes it.. but it is much better to use short names, no spaces and pure alphanumerics).

If the ping to the router fails by name try it with domain.. ie ping airport_extreme.verizon.net and if that doesn't work try airport_extreme.local

Once we determine why it cannot ping by IP which should always work.. and I think is due to no local DNS.. then you need to fix the domain.

Post back and I will attempt to replicate any issues if it still fails.

I am in Australia.. so our Time difference can be a pain.

What type of broadband service do you have? Are you on cable with a pure modem or some fiber service or VDSL etc.??

Mar 11, 2018 3:38 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi LaPastenague,

Wow, Australia is indeed a half world away. Here on the east coast of US Optimum is a cable company and Verizon is a phone company that both provide internet connectivity. My current provider (Optimum) gave me a router that had another interface and in it I assigned static IPs to my PCs. Everything was very sooth. I want to move to Verizon and use the AEX as my router and things seem to be a little more complicated :-).

I swapped the DNS server info as instructed and I am still getting the same result.

C:\>ping 192.168.1.190

Pinging 192.168.1.190 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Here are the new screen shots of my config.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I shut down my entire network and then brought back up all components (airports, switches, computers).

I can ping the AEX by IP but not by name (I could ping it even in the previous configuration).

C:\>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255

C:\>ping airport_extreme

Ping request could not find host airport_extreme. Please check the name and try again.

C:\>ping airport_extreme.verizon.net

Ping request could not find host airport_extreme.verizon.net. Please check the name and try again.

C:\>ping airport_extreme.local

Ping request could not find host airport_extreme.local. Please check the name and try again.

Thanks again for your help,

Vladimir

Mar 15, 2018 4:06 AM in response to puiuvlad

I am starting to remember why I bailed out of windows and switched to Mac.

When you setup the network in the win10 computer did you select public or private.. I am not up to date with windows latest vexacious issues. But windows will allow home network using ipv6 (home group). And I think it now defaults to public for IPv4. Since all the latest security scares prove windows still is very poor.

Go into your windows control panel, Network and Sharing Centre/ Advanced sharing settings.

Make sure your current profile is Private

NOT Guest or PUBLIC.

Under private make sure you have checked.

Turn on network discovery.

Turn on file and print sharing (this is important to get two way connections)

Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections.

I have done a partial network rearrange.

I have windows computer on same IP range but different router to the Mac.

I can ping from windows to Mac but not visa versa..

I switched the Mac over the same router as the PC. (both on Asus not apple)

Now I can ping the PC although the ping shows this is not a great connection.

ping 192.168.2.133

PING 192.168.2.133 (192.168.2.133): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.2.133: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=53.290 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.133: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=3.537 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.133: icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=92.313 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.133: icmp_seq=3 ttl=128 time=116.229 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.133: icmp_seq=4 ttl=128 time=341.240 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.133: icmp_seq=5 ttl=128 time=2.149 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.133: icmp_seq=6 ttl=128 time=178.386 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.133: icmp_seq=7 ttl=128 time=711.911 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.133: icmp_seq=8 ttl=128 time=2.134 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.2.133: icmp_seq=9 ttl=128 time=243.492 ms

Would adding a translation from the v4 to the v6 style addresses in this file help?

No I think you have some setting wrong.. and you need to fix it.

I plugged the windows PC in via ethernet with wireless off.. and now the ping looks much better.

Mac is still on wireless..

ping 192.168.2.207

PING 192.168.2.207 (192.168.2.207): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.2.207: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=7.036 ms

Mar 11, 2018 4:47 PM in response to puiuvlad

Ok.. so Verizon has you on fiber connection or some such??

That is not a major issue.. as long as I know you have ethernet from a black box which does connection to internet.

The rule here is to simplify.

This might be a nuisance but you will get nowhere easily now without doing a major reconfig of the network to its simplest and see how you go.

So

WAN connection on AE to blackbox.

Two windows computers.. plugged by ethernet into the AE LAN ports.

No other connections. You will of course be using ipad via wireless to configure the AE.. that is fine.

Reset the AE to factory. (unplug or shutdown power.. hold in reset button and power up the AE again.. holding in reset the whole time.. and keep holding in another 10sec.. you should see the front LED flash rapidly).

Reconfigure the AE from your iPad. DO NOT USE APPLE RECOMMENDED NAMES. change it to AEgen6 for both base station name and wifi. Change nothing outside of the setup wizard.

Boot the two windows computers.. now attempt to ping from one to the other by name and IP address.

If by name fails try it with the full domain.. as you did previously.. both verizon.net and local but this time lets add in WORKGROUP (in caps).

No luck change the first DNS again to match the IP of the AE.. which should be 10.0.1.1

And change the second DNS to google.. 8.8.8.8

Tell me if that gets you anywhere.

I don't see how it will help but please install the airport utility for windows into the windows machines.

Download AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows

It is latest update.. 2012 .. win7 but it will install on win10.. if you hold your tongue on the right cheek and keep your computers to windward of prevailing breezes.. and the moon is waxing crescent.. (sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.. but necessary for sanity in dealing with computers).

It will say it is not within spec to configure an AC airport.. but ignore the message and continue.. it does install bonjour for windows which maybe vital missing key.

If none of that works.. (warning.. it may well not work).

Then the AE is somehow incompatible.. but it is not a problem I have seen. I will try to reproduce it in a setup here.. but my home is undergoing renovation and it might take me a while to get enough components together.

The problem you run into here is that Apple routers are designed for Apple networks.. with a feint nod to windows (yes.. it does exist.. outside the Apple walled garden and is therefore to Apple virtually non-existent).

For my own network I have an Asus router as the main unit.. Apple routers do not work with my ISP. There is no choice but use alternative brand. What is worse is that Apple provide no advanced menu controls for when their limited range of setups go wrong. They know it will work with Apple clients.. to them.. end of story.

Mar 10, 2018 5:18 PM in response to puiuvlad

Most unusual in a flat single IP range setup for ping failure.

From the PC can you ping Internet addresses?

Is the FIOS bridged or are you using a double NAT setup?

To understand what is going on I really need you to post some screenshots.

I need to see WAN and LAN IP of the airport in the summary page .. you can take screenshot on the ipad and post to site.. albeit not as conveniently as from a Mac.

At least tell me how the FIOS is configured.. What is the WAN and LAN IP of the airport and its configuration.

I am reserving two addresses (192.168.1.180 and 192.168.1.190) for the two PCs and naming them in the description field.

Does your name in the AE, exactly match the computer share name?

when I try to ping one machine from the other using the ip address the ping times out

If ping by IP fails then ping by name will certainly fail as well.

P.S. When reserving another address (192.168.1.170) for a PC running Ubuntu and naming it, I can ping it from a Win machine using the IP address but not the name. I cannot ping the Win machine from the Ubuntu one though.

Are you running extra security software on the win10 machine which is set to not respond to ping. It is interesting that win machine can ping ubuntu.. but not visa versa. Perhaps you are blocking ping which would be a simple answer.

Failure to ping by name when IP does work to Ubuntu indicates you also have a domain issue.

Look at your settings and find what is the default domain in the windows machines...

https://www.windows-commandline.com/find-domain-name-command-line/

By default the AE should be set to local

But it will depend on the FIOS and over all setup.. so I need to see the whole lot.

Mar 11, 2018 3:48 PM in response to puiuvlad

"I presume you deliberately moved the IP of the Airport Extreme to match Optimum router.

That may not be a great idea. The airport is definitely happier on its default."

Actually, I am not that sophisticated :-). Verizon gave me an ethernet cable and said: plug it in your router. All values are the default ones, I did not fudge any value :-).

Mar 11, 2018 6:20 PM in response to LaPastenague

Yes, Verizon FIOS is fiber.

When I plug the two computers into the AE LAN ports and reset the AE letting DHCP to assign them IP addresses, the first computer that starts gets assigned 10.0.1.3 and the second 10.0.1.4.

C:\>hostname

Burebista

C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : verizon.net

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.4

Just like before, pinging one from the other times out. Pinging the router is successful.

C:\>ping 10.0.1.3

Pinging 10.0.1.3 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

C:\>ping 10.0.1.1

Pinging 10.0.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255

Interesting behavior when pinging by name:

C:\>ping Zamolxis

Ping request could not find host Zamolxis. Please check the name and try again.

C:\>ping Zamolxis.local

Pinging Zamolxis.local [fe80::b46d:8ef9:da1b:aea%5] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from fe80::b46d:8ef9:da1b:aea%5: time=1ms

C:\>ping Zamolxis.verizon.net

Ping request could not find host Zamolxis.verizon.net. Please check the name and try again.

C:\>ping Zamolxis.WORKGROUP

Ping request could not find host Zamolxis.WORKGROUP. Please check the name and try again.

The reply is coming from the Link-local IPv6 Address of Zamolxis. All other variants fail.

So it seems that the router does not know IPv4 style addresses. Must be a setting somewhere... Any idea?

Zamolxis already has Airport Utility for Windows 5.6.1 but Burebista does not. I can ping Burebista.local, so I guess the fact that the Airport Utility is installed on one PC is not a factor in the ping working by name.local.

Finally, I had a feeling that it may be an Apple-Windows incompatibility and yesterday I ordered a new Google WiFi to use as a router, and it will arrive tomorrow. I can always use the AE as a bridge just like the TC, and extend the TC wifi network. I like that the AE/TC signal is very strong in a sufficiently large area, and two of them will cover my entire house.

Again, thanks a lot for your time LaPastenague,

Vladimir

Mar 12, 2018 1:28 PM in response to puiuvlad

I think your solution of using a different router is the best one in the end. Particularly if you are not using Mac in the network. PC should work fine to airport.. but I think the domain stuff is what is wrong.

So it seems that the router does not know IPv4 style addresses. Must be a setting somewhere... Any idea?

The windows computers are still picking up the verizon.net as well as the native WORKGROUP.. and the airport is doggedly sticking to its default local. Apple removed any ability to change domain long long ago.

One thing I recommend to people with network issues between different OS is use a single domain.. that means you MUST force the main router and clients to use local. Since the Airport cannot be altered.

Still, something more than just domain has failed if it cannot ping by IP.

I cannot reproduce the problem. I still need to build a whole new network using an airport as main router to test it fully. Bypassing the issue using a normal router is best fix IMHO.

Mar 14, 2018 4:19 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi LaPastenague,

I did a little more experimenting with the Airport Extreme but I was still not able to ping one PC from the other using the IP v4 type addresses.

I simplified my network as follows: the FIOS wire goes into the WAN port of the AE and the two PCs are connected directly to two LAN ports of the AE.

As you suggested, I set the two DNS addresses to (1) the local address 192.168.1.1 and (2) 8.8.8.8 (google) respectively.

I did not even reserve DHCP addresses, but tried to ping the dynamically assigned addresses.

When I ping by name + ".local" I get results back and the IP address where the result is coming is a v6 style IP address.

When I ping by the just returned v6 style IP address I again get results.

Only when I ping by the v4 style IP address the operation times out.

I tried the Google WiFi device and they too have similar issues. They correctly translate the name into v4 style addresses but then the ping times out. Pinging by v6 style IP addresses fails flatly. Google is looking into this.

It may seem that there is a setting on the PCs that causes this issue, but the Optimum router knows how to resolve v4 style addresses, so it does not seem to be an issue on the PCs.

I even checked the etc/hosts file on both PCs and noticed it has not been altered (everything is commented out). Would adding a translation from the v4 to the v6 style addresses in this file help?

Thanks,

Vladimir

Airport Extreme reserves ip but ping fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.