Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme & not valid IP configuration?

I added a 5th generation airport extreme to my home network which is managed by my Netgear Nighthawk R8300 router (basement). I used the "join existing network" option as I wanted to add devices to the extreme via ethernet (upstairs) and be able to connect to the internet via these wired connections to the extreme which is connected wirelessly to my existing network. The airport extreme seems to be functioning fine and connected to the internet, however, the windows 10 PC that is connected via ethernet to the extreme is not able to connect to the internet and gives the "not a valid IP configuration" error. I have the Nighthawk R8300 using DHCP (Spectrum Internet) and tried setting the extreme to use DHCP, but no luck. I feel like I'm missing something simple, but this is out of my wheelhouse, so to speak. Any resources or easy answers?

Windows 10, or MAC OSX

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 3:01 PM

Got it. Apparently I was given erroneous information leading me to believe that I could, however perhaps that person did not understand what I was trying to do or I didn't ask the question properly. In any case, thanks for the help. I swapped out the extreme for an old A1264 express that is working for this scenario instead. However, the Nighthawk is AC spec while the express is not - so due to the speed limitation, this will be a temporary solution. It's throttling my 100mbps internet down to about 15-20 mbps, which is understandable given the age of the A1264. Guess I'll need to ebay my 2 extremes and express later, since I really can't come up with a use I don't already have another solution for. Thanks again!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2018 3:01 PM in response to LaPastenague

Got it. Apparently I was given erroneous information leading me to believe that I could, however perhaps that person did not understand what I was trying to do or I didn't ask the question properly. In any case, thanks for the help. I swapped out the extreme for an old A1264 express that is working for this scenario instead. However, the Nighthawk is AC spec while the express is not - so due to the speed limitation, this will be a temporary solution. It's throttling my 100mbps internet down to about 15-20 mbps, which is understandable given the age of the A1264. Guess I'll need to ebay my 2 extremes and express later, since I really can't come up with a use I don't already have another solution for. Thanks again!

Sep 16, 2018 1:27 PM in response to Snagtooth

There is an easy answer .. you cannot do it.

Airport routers cannot be used as wireless bridge to ethernet with exception of the express.

Apple deliberately removed the ability of Apple routers to work with anything other than another Apple router, where you can extend wireless.

You can use powerline adapters for example. Or most other brands of extenders.. Netgear EX series work very well.

Sep 16, 2018 3:23 PM in response to Snagtooth

It is best to sell of what are now old model Extremes and very old Express if you have no use for them. Pity because the Gen5 Extreme are excellent routers.. and while some will be dead/dying now or in the next little while they are excellent for AP in the middle of a wired network.

Using wireless bridge it tends to be much better to stick to brand. ie use Netgear with Netgear. Even then some routers will not work properly with others. Wireless bridging does do strange things to your network. (As does any Extend by wireless or wireless repeater system). Mostly to be avoided. Run ethernet wherever possible.. where not possible use Powerline adapters rather than wireless. They might be slower than wireless on paper but in reality are usually faster and much more stable.

Airport Extreme & not valid IP configuration?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.