Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud vs MacBook Pro storage

I have to admit that I'm pretty weak with a lot of Apple features so I need what is probably some basic help.

I have iCloud setup so that it is backing up my photos from my iPhone, which also are copied onto my MacBook Pro. I am running out of disk space on my MBP and need to free some up. How do I store photos on my iCloud account while removing them from my MBP? Can that be done or is iCloud only a backup to what is on my Mac and iPhone?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013), iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 1:10 PM

On the MBP, go to Photos/Preferences/iCloud and select Optimize. That will reduce the space required by about 90% when fully effective.

If you want all the photos off the MBP, go to System Preferences/iCloud and uncheck Photos syncing. Then go to Photos/Preferences/iCloud and turn off syncing. If desired, you can then delete the Photos Library. You can then see the photos by going to iCloud.com/Photos using a browser.

The 3rd option is to copy the Library to an external hard drive. Then open Photos with the option/alt key held down and select the external drive Photos Library as the System Library. Once you make sure you can see your photos in Photos, delete the internal; hard drive Library.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2018 1:10 PM in response to kdeisher

On the MBP, go to Photos/Preferences/iCloud and select Optimize. That will reduce the space required by about 90% when fully effective.

If you want all the photos off the MBP, go to System Preferences/iCloud and uncheck Photos syncing. Then go to Photos/Preferences/iCloud and turn off syncing. If desired, you can then delete the Photos Library. You can then see the photos by going to iCloud.com/Photos using a browser.

The 3rd option is to copy the Library to an external hard drive. Then open Photos with the option/alt key held down and select the external drive Photos Library as the System Library. Once you make sure you can see your photos in Photos, delete the internal; hard drive Library.

iCloud vs MacBook Pro storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.