Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I turn off purchase sharing for everyone in Family Sharing?

Hi!

I want to subscribe to apple music and get a family subscription that I can share with family members. In order to do this I have to turn on family sharing, but I don't want to share anything else aside from the apple music account. Specifically I don't want the other members to be able to use my payment information for other purchases, but they are adults so I can't use Ask to buy. How can I turn off purchase sharing?

Thank you !

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 9:26 PM

tudor53 wrote:

Hello ! Well I've contacted Apple Support but they told me to get in touch with Tech Support and I just gave up, especially since I'm 90% certain what I did worked. Apple Music works just fine, for both me and my family members, I can still get both free and paid apps for myself using my credit card, and I've tried the App Store from my mother's phone to see which account would be used and it was using hers for both paid and free apps. I didn't actually go through with a purchase from her phone, hence the 90%, but any transaction was going through her account and there was no mention of mine or Family Sharing so I think it's ok.

Selecting the "Stop Family Purchase Sharing" option only does that one thing - it stops the sharing of music, movies, TV shows, books, and apps.

It does not change the dynamics of how the billing for a Family Sharing account works. The only way to prevent other Family Sharing members' purchases from being billed to the Organizer's account is to have the family members purchase an iTunes card and apply it to their accounts.

If a Family Sharing member's account has a credit balance on their account, the purchase is first deducted from that credit balance. If the purchase exceeds the available balance, the remaining amount is charged to the Organizer's credit card.

If any Family Sharing member is under the age of 13 (where Ask to Buy is required), or any Family Sharing member that has the Ask to Buy option turned on will have all purchases billed to the Organizer. Even with an iTunes & App Store credit balance, if Ask to Buy is turned on, the purchase will be taken from the Organizer's credit card.

Had you completed the purchase on your Mom's iOS device, you would have been able to verity that the purchase was charged to your credit card. There would not be any mention of the fact that your card would be charged since that is the way that Family Sharing is set up to work.

The only way to prevent purchases from being billed to your account is for each of the Family Sharing members to have an iTunes & App Store credit balance, which is achieved by purchasing and applying an iTunes Gift Card to their Apple account.

See the "About Family Sharing purchases" in this support article: How iTunes Store purchases are billed - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2018 9:26 PM in response to tudor53

tudor53 wrote:

Hello ! Well I've contacted Apple Support but they told me to get in touch with Tech Support and I just gave up, especially since I'm 90% certain what I did worked. Apple Music works just fine, for both me and my family members, I can still get both free and paid apps for myself using my credit card, and I've tried the App Store from my mother's phone to see which account would be used and it was using hers for both paid and free apps. I didn't actually go through with a purchase from her phone, hence the 90%, but any transaction was going through her account and there was no mention of mine or Family Sharing so I think it's ok.

Selecting the "Stop Family Purchase Sharing" option only does that one thing - it stops the sharing of music, movies, TV shows, books, and apps.

It does not change the dynamics of how the billing for a Family Sharing account works. The only way to prevent other Family Sharing members' purchases from being billed to the Organizer's account is to have the family members purchase an iTunes card and apply it to their accounts.

If a Family Sharing member's account has a credit balance on their account, the purchase is first deducted from that credit balance. If the purchase exceeds the available balance, the remaining amount is charged to the Organizer's credit card.

If any Family Sharing member is under the age of 13 (where Ask to Buy is required), or any Family Sharing member that has the Ask to Buy option turned on will have all purchases billed to the Organizer. Even with an iTunes & App Store credit balance, if Ask to Buy is turned on, the purchase will be taken from the Organizer's credit card.

Had you completed the purchase on your Mom's iOS device, you would have been able to verity that the purchase was charged to your credit card. There would not be any mention of the fact that your card would be charged since that is the way that Family Sharing is set up to work.

The only way to prevent purchases from being billed to your account is for each of the Family Sharing members to have an iTunes & App Store credit balance, which is achieved by purchasing and applying an iTunes Gift Card to their Apple account.

See the "About Family Sharing purchases" in this support article: How iTunes Store purchases are billed - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

Mar 12, 2018 4:48 PM in response to tudor53

It should not be the only way to prevent them from using my payment method.

And yet it is. I am not really going to debate this with you.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://apple.com/feedback

"If you don't want to pay for purchases of a specific adult family member, you can remove them from your family group or turn off purchase sharing for everyone."

If you remove them or turn off sharing, they get nothing, including Apple Music. Isn't that your goal?

They also have their own accounts with their own payment methods,

They can't have their own accounts and payment methods AND be part of your family. Either or.

From the same article you linked.

User uploaded file

Why come here asking for answers and then push back when they aren't what you want to hear?

Best of luck. I am done.

Mar 12, 2018 5:16 PM in response to LACAllen

This turned a bit aggressive...

They can't have their own accounts and payment methods AND be part of your family. Either or.

This is just outright false. I have them as part of my family with their own accounts on which they have their own payment methods.

Anyway, forget it, I've contacted Apple Support for this issue, I'll see what they say.

Thanks for the help I guess !

Apr 5, 2018 12:37 PM in response to aryanna85

How I did it: When I set up Family Sharing and the Apple Music account I was doing it from a Mac. It forced me to turn purchase sharing on and use my payment method for all purchases of the whole family and there was no option to turn it off from there. I guess there are fewer options on the iCloud settings on a Mac. However, from an iOS device you can go to Settings -> Apple ID (your name) -> Family Sharing -> Stop Family Purchase Sharing . There is also an option to just tick off "Share my purchases", but all that will do is just stop other family members from accessing the apps, music or books you've purchased, but it still allows them to make their own purchases using your payment method. What you need to do is press the blue option Stop Family Purchase Sharing on the bottom of the page, this way it stops it completely and their purchases should go through their account once more.

I hope this helps !

Mar 12, 2018 4:37 PM in response to LACAllen

It should not be the only way to prevent them from using my payment method. On the Family purchases and payments support page ( here: Family purchases and payments - Apple Support ) it says : "If you don't want to pay for purchases of a specific adult family member, you can remove them from your family group or turn off purchase sharing for everyone." I was trying to do the latter but the support page does not give any more details on how exactly to do it.

They also have their own accounts with their own payment methods, so maybe it won't even be an issue. If they try to buy something on the App Store their payment method should be prioritised over mine, right?

But i was still trying to remove this feature from family sharing, without having to buy gift cards.

Apr 25, 2018 7:36 PM in response to CBorJB

You can only track him via Find My Friends by having an iCloud account, and by signing into iCloud.com, clicking on the Find My Friends app, and then by having him add your Apple ID as a Friend in his Find My Friends app. See this support article for help:

About Find My Friends - Apple Support

Once he does that, the only place you will be able to track him would be via iCloud.com on any computer.

Best,

GB

Apr 25, 2018 8:36 PM in response to CBorJB

Who says you need a credit card?

You can use the Find My Friends App at the iCloud.com website from your Windows computer. It may work from your Samsung phone but it may have issues.

To do this, you'll need to create an Apple ID and have your friend share their location with your Apple ID.

When you create an Apple ID, you don't need to add a credit card to it unless you plan to use the iTunes or App Stores.

Go here to create an Apple ID: https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create

Then have your friend follow the steps here from his iPhone to let you track him.

About Find My Friends - Apple Support

Once that is done, you can log in to the iCloud.com website with your Apple ID and use the Find My Friends App there to track him as long as he continues to share his location.

Mar 12, 2018 4:12 PM in response to tudor53

As I said... turning off sharing does not prevent them from using your method of payment. In fact, that will make it worse as they can't access what's already been paid for. They will just charge all their purchases to you.

Make them redeem iTunes Gift Cards to their accounts. It is the only way to prevent them from accessing your method of payment.

Apr 6, 2018 1:13 AM in response to gail from maine

gail from maine wrote:

Yup, you're right. I checked again, this time under Payment and Shipping from her iPhone and without a payment option of her own, my credit card shows up under Family Sharing.

Sorry Aryanna85 , I was wrong, turning Family Purchase Sharing off, even completely, does not solve the issue.

Apr 19, 2018 10:07 PM in response to tudor53

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I have spent HOURS trying to remove my credit card information after it FORCE ME to enter credit card info just to turn on Family Sharing so I can see my son's iPhone in Find My iPhone in case he loses it. That is ridiculous of Apple to force us into putting in a credit card in order to use Find My iPhone for our family.

Apr 24, 2018 1:10 PM in response to CBorJB

No. Find My Friends only works with Apple devices, Its an Apple service for their devices only.

You can only track a device from an Apple device or the iCloud website, and you can only track an Apple device.

i.e you could log into iCloud.com on a Samsung phone to track an iPhone. But you cannot track a Samsung phone from an iPhone using Find my Friends.

I'm pretty sure Samsung has their own tracking mechanism: Find My Mobile - Samsung.com

How can I turn off purchase sharing for everyone in Family Sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.