Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing I Pad

I now have an old iPad (2011) that is not connected to Internet. I am looking to replace it. I may want to have cellular.

I am a 83 year old grandmother who goes to California often to see my family. I take a five hour flight. What I would use the iPad for would be:

Movies, Shows, Kindle, INFO (which would need the internet) Google etc. I would down load books, movies etc.

I own an I Mac Desk top (my primary computer as it gives me the most) I would like to have an I pad that gives me close to what I have on my I Mac. My I phone is not the perfect one to use.

I looked at the I pads at the Apple Store and on line. I came up with the Larger of the IPad. IPAD AIR 2

I do not need the PRO.

When I called Verizon as they had a special on I Pad connection . The only I PAD they had was 2017 I PAD

The girl at Verizon said that the AIR 2 was old and their IPad 2017 was the newest. I question that.

Can any one help out an ole lady make a decision, and give me an opinion.

Thank you.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2018 1:18 PM

The iPad Air 2 was released in October of 2014, and discontinued in March of last year. It is no longer made or sold by Apple.

The new 2017 iPad 5 is the newest entry level iPad, the same size as the iPad Air 2 was, and the only non Pro, non Mini iPad currently being made by Apple.

Your other options are the 10.5" iPad Pro, and the Second generation 12.9" iPad Pro, or a 7.9" 4th generation iPad Mini.

You can compare all current models here:

iPad - Compare Models - Apple

For what you describe the 2017 iPad 5 will do just fine.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2018 1:18 PM in response to arnasue

The iPad Air 2 was released in October of 2014, and discontinued in March of last year. It is no longer made or sold by Apple.

The new 2017 iPad 5 is the newest entry level iPad, the same size as the iPad Air 2 was, and the only non Pro, non Mini iPad currently being made by Apple.

Your other options are the 10.5" iPad Pro, and the Second generation 12.9" iPad Pro, or a 7.9" 4th generation iPad Mini.

You can compare all current models here:

iPad - Compare Models - Apple

For what you describe the 2017 iPad 5 will do just fine.

Mar 13, 2018 3:58 PM in response to arnasue

If you purchased this iPad in 2011, this is probably an iPad 2 (2nd generation).

What iOS is this running?

Go into the Settings App, under General, About an it should tell you what iOS version that iPad is running.

This iPad is 8 years old, now and both hardware AND iOS have gotten more advanced over a this period of time.

Also, your iPad is only a very low storage, 16 GBs storage model with a practical free data storage space amount of 9-10 GBs of usable data space.

For everything you wish to do on an iPad, this is really an insufficient amount of space on your current iPad.

This is why Apple, finally, in a secret admission, did away with 16 GBs iDevices about 2-3 years, ago.

I mentioned the differences in an iMac/Mac OS vs an iPad/iOS to educate yourself on the differences.

If you already own an iPad, then you should already be familiar with the differences on an iPad VS an iMac, no?

Since your iPad is so old and is no longer being supported with new iOS upgrades/updates AND has very low storage space, it may be time for you to purchase a new 2017 iPad model.

The new 2017 iPad 5th generation models have more features and are much faster, by a LOT, than your iPad 2 and come in a minimum base storage model of 32 GBs now (practical storage of 27-28 GBs) which is 2-1/2 to 3 times the storage space of an older 16 GBs iDevice model.

BUT based on your needs, I think that perhaps even 27-28 GBs of space will not be enough free storage space for your needs

Movies and TV shows need to be/must be fully downloaded to the device to be able to play fully on a device (without using WiFi to stream the movie or TV show ) and movies/TV show episodes take up a LOT of storage space on an iDevicd AND with other apps on it, as well as, books, music and photos, you may only have room 2-3 full movies OR TV show episodss. OR any combination 2 movies OR 2 TV show episodes to put on an iPad.

If you want a lot room for more full movies, TV episodes, eBooks, photos,etc., if your budget allows, you can get the new 2017 iPad 5 in a 128 GBs data storage model (118 GBs of actual data storage ) that would afford you more room for movies, TV show episodes, eBooks, photos, music and other third party apps you may wish to install and use.

https://www.apple.com/ipad-9.7/

Good Luck to You!

Mar 13, 2018 4:31 PM in response to arnasue

arnasue wrote:

If I go on a plane and want to watch movies or videos do I have to back them up before I travel?

You would need to download the movies to the iPad before getting on the plane.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ipad/how-download-movies-ipad-iphone-without-i tunes-3613071/

arnasue wrote:

I am willing to get a new one.So you are suggesting for my needs "Do not get internet (Cellular) just get WiFi.

You probably don't need to get a new one. Most modern routers/modems have Wifi by default. You can look on the modem itself, and it should have a label with something along the lines of Wifi Name / SSID and password. Then go to your iPad's Settings->Wifi and look for a Wireless network that matches the name, and use the password printed their to connect to it.

arnasue wrote:

How do I watch things on the Plane when I am traveling.?Can I get Google with just wifi?

Can I Open a website with just wiFi ? (Know there has to be Wi Fi available). Since your my new favorite person.

Yes. Wifi is a form of internet access. Connecting the iPad to Wifi. You can open Google, and other websites.

Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Mar 13, 2018 1:47 PM in response to arnasue

Just to add, to specify and elaborate, so you understand and comprehend.

An iPad runs the same iOS as an iPhone.

An iPad will NOT give you an equivalent of an iMac in a tablet.

An iPad is a more simplified mobile device with a more simplified, less powerful and less feature rich OS (iOS).

iPads are not full computer replacements. They are less expensive COMPANION mobile computing devices, that cannot compare to a full desktop computer, like an iMac, OR laptop computer, like a MacBook.

You cannot run macOS apps from an iMac on an iPad.

You must download similar functioning apps, either free or paid apps, from the iOS App Store on an iPad.

Apps for iOS devices, like an iPad, are, most times, simpler and have less features than apps made for a desktop computer, like an iMac running OS X/macOS.

So don't expect an iPad to work or function/act like your iMac.

These are two different computing paradigms.

FYI.

Good Luck to You!

Mar 13, 2018 1:54 PM in response to MichelPM

That was so informative. I am naive when it comes to computers. You're the best.

Maybe I should just update my current I Pad (2011)( used very little) Sign up for internet with the IPAD, for my type of usage. I just opened up the settings on my own I Pad , went under cloud.

CLOUD

Total Storage 50.0 GB

Available 39.3 GB

STORAGE

Used 10.5 GB

Available 2.2 GB

Maybe I can get rid of stuff on my IPad that is take up room. so I can get more Gigabytes. Any suggestions?

You do not know how much I appreciate your words of wisdom.

Grannie Sue

Mar 13, 2018 2:02 PM in response to arnasue

An iPad can use the same internet connection your Mac uses. i.e a Wifi connection. There's no requirement you sign up for internet access on an iPad if you do not want to.

You can as you mentioned choose a cellular iPad to get internet where Wifi is not available but its not a general requirement.

At home, do you connect your Mac to your router/modem with a cable? or Wirelessly?

You can delete Apps, and documents off the iPad you no longer use, to make room if you want to. But a 7 year old iPad is ready to be updated to a newer model anyway.

The iCloud storage you've been paying for does not increase the physical storage on the iPad. Its on Apple;s servers and used to store backups, and synced data from your devices such as photos and documents.

Mar 13, 2018 2:15 PM in response to Phil0124

If I go on a plane and want to watch movies or videos do I have to back them up before I travel?

I just moved from Verizon to Comcast as that was all the building used. I am almost positive the Mac is connected to the Router/modem with a cable. I just looked and it looks like the tracks at Grand Central Station,,It looks like it is attached to router.

I am willing to get a new one.So you are suggesting for my needs "Do not get internet (Cellular) just get WiFi.

How do I watch things on the Plane when I am traveling.?Can I get Google with just wifi?

Can I Open a website with just wiFi ? (Know there has to be Wi Fi available). Since your my new favorite person.

How Do I purge the old I Pad?

I remembering taking the I Pad years ago on the plane without knowing anything about it and could not use it for Movies etc.

Replacing I Pad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.