Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Underlining Blank Spaces

I am having a heck of a time trying to underline blank spaces in a workbook I am creating in Pages. How can I do this easily???

MacBook Pro, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 9:15 AM

3 replies

Mar 14, 2018 10:03 AM in response to eatonfamily4ks

Hi Eatons,

If I understand the question, you are creating a Pages document that will be used to print a series of pages to make a student's workbook. The underlined "blank spaces" will be used as 'answer spaces' in which the student is expected to write his/her response to a question or to complete a sentence, or other similar task.

One way to do this is to use left tabs with leaders:

User uploaded file

Leaders are set in the Format Inspector, as shown here:

User uploaded file

A second method is to use a Shape (in this case a line) inserted from the Shapes button, set to horizontal, and adjusted to a slightly heavier weight using the Format Inspector, then set to Move with text and to be Inline with text using the Arrange section of the Inspector.

On the page, this method loks like this (note the handles on the third line, indicating it is selected):

User uploaded file

Inspector settings (Arrange):

User uploaded file

Regards

Barry

B

Underlining Blank Spaces

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.