Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I delete files from icloud drive?

I use Icloud to upload & download a spreadsheet, so I can access the most recent version, regardless of where I am. I now have about 20 versions of this file on icloud because of several issues 1. I cannot delete anything from icloud - it looks like it's going to delete - then it comes back and says "There was a problem moving [xxxx file] to the recently deleted folder. Please try later. 2) each time I upload the file, rather than overlaying what is already there, it adds a number to the end, so I have file, file1, file2, file3 ..... file 20.

Why can't I delete anything? I also cannot find any information on this issue when I do a google search.

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2018 11:34 AM

So... for about 30 days now, I've had this problem - can't delete any files whatsoever on icloud drive. Note - always using the browser version - sign on at home (windows 7 pro), sign on at work (windows 7 pro) using IE or Chrome. Suddenly. today, after repeatedly trying to delete & getting the message "there was a problem... try later", I saw at the very bottom right of the screen, some letters in blue - 8 recently deleted items. I clicked on this link & a window popped up, showing 8 files with an option to cancel or delete all - I chose delete all. After this, I was able to delete all the files I had uploaded. Strange behavior of this application. Note - the spreadsheet in question is 5,846 KB in size - but that should not matter.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2018 11:34 AM in response to rreinhardt93

So... for about 30 days now, I've had this problem - can't delete any files whatsoever on icloud drive. Note - always using the browser version - sign on at home (windows 7 pro), sign on at work (windows 7 pro) using IE or Chrome. Suddenly. today, after repeatedly trying to delete & getting the message "there was a problem... try later", I saw at the very bottom right of the screen, some letters in blue - 8 recently deleted items. I clicked on this link & a window popped up, showing 8 files with an option to cancel or delete all - I chose delete all. After this, I was able to delete all the files I had uploaded. Strange behavior of this application. Note - the spreadsheet in question is 5,846 KB in size - but that should not matter.

Mar 14, 2018 11:09 AM in response to erickat2

Greetings erickat2,

Thanks for posting your issue here on the Apple Communities Discussion board. If I understand your issue correctly, we are currently attempting to delete a spreadsheet from the iCloud Drive.

Have you attempted to go to www.icloud.com and access the iCloud Drive from the website to see if it can be deleted? If so, you may have a synchronization problem that requires you to toggle the iCloud Drive settings off and back on again.

Let me know if this works.

Why can't I delete files from icloud drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.