Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello. My SE is broken but haven't done a backup, if I take out the chip/SIM card will I loose all data (like voice recordings) from the SE if I put it in a new phone?

Hello. My SE is broken but haven't done a backup, if I take out the chip/SIM card will I loose all data (like voice recordings) from the SE if I put it in a new phone?

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 6:33 AM

As Rudegar said, the SIM Card only contains your phone number. That means that the new phone will start receiving the calls and texts to the new phone, and your SE will not receive them anymore. Your SE will still hold all the old data, including your voice recordings. In what way is the phone broken?

If it is only external (cracked or likewise) you can still plug it in to a computer, and you can back up voice memories through iTunes (which also works on PC).

If it is internal, try and plug it in, and if it doesn't work, then I would suggest taking it to a certified apple repairer, or to a Genius Bar, and try to see what they can do.

All the best.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2018 6:33 AM in response to AppleAnnabel

As Rudegar said, the SIM Card only contains your phone number. That means that the new phone will start receiving the calls and texts to the new phone, and your SE will not receive them anymore. Your SE will still hold all the old data, including your voice recordings. In what way is the phone broken?

If it is only external (cracked or likewise) you can still plug it in to a computer, and you can back up voice memories through iTunes (which also works on PC).

If it is internal, try and plug it in, and if it doesn't work, then I would suggest taking it to a certified apple repairer, or to a Genius Bar, and try to see what they can do.

All the best.

Mar 15, 2018 6:41 AM in response to Lakey1079

Thank you so very much for explaining that in such an easy way to understand!

the teeth in my charging port seem to either be pushed down or broken off, so I'm unable to charge the phone to do a backup.

I'm due an upgrade, so I just need enough power to do a back up of photos and voice recordings.

being a Mum to a 2yr old who's just starting to talk (voice recordings) and exploring the world (photos) I REEEEEEALLY want them saved onto my laptop.

I thank you for yor precious time spent answering my question x

Mar 15, 2018 10:26 PM in response to AppleAnnabel

So, if it is only your charging port, the data is fine. How this will be fixed, I’m not sure. That might require the hard drive to be removed, but I’m not sure. If you have enough power in it, then you might be able to send them to the new phone (probably through airdrop, as it is the quickest) and that should be fine.

Otherwise, I would definitely suggest scheduling a call with Apple, and seeing what they can do. I actually did that yesterday as I had issues with my Mac, and I was talking to a real person in just under 10 minutes after I scheduled. I have never tried calling them myself though.

If worst comes to worst and it has to be removed physically, then I highly recommend going to Apple and getting it done. Sure, it will cost more than if you got the local phone place to do it, but photos and things of the like are priceless, so you would want the professionals to do it.

Best of luck!

Mar 16, 2018 4:28 PM in response to Lakey1079

Hello, thank you so much for your time answering...!

unfortunately I have no battery power left.

Money wasn't the issue but I was told by an Apple representative that they would rather replace the whole phone than repair the charging port. Which would mean I loose all date...

I will double check though and call them or go to a store.

hope your Mac got fixed x

Mar 16, 2018 4:43 PM in response to AppleAnnabel

AppleAnnabel wrote:

Any tips on how to repair my phone? Will Apple just replace the phone rather than change the charging port which is obviously the problem.

if it were only the charging port that was changed will my data be safe?

thank you x

a) there is no hard drive in an iPhone - it uses solid state memory for storage

b) the storage uses strong encryption which is in turn tied to the logicboard and hardware, so those memory chips cannot be removed and used in any other device. That is a deliberate design feature to stop people from stealing data by removing storage chips and reading from them.

c) other than displays, Apple does not perform repairs on iPhones or iPads. They replace the device.

Sorry, but without a backup in place, you will lose your data. That is inevitable at this point. Backups really are essentially as one never knows when a disaster will strike.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.