Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using firewire 400 device on 2017 Macbook Pro

Hello,

I recently got a new Macbook Pro 2017 version (High Sierra), and am trying to get it to work with my audio interface, which is "Firestudio Project" by Presonus. It's a somewhat dated interface with firewire 400 ports, fully working.

I had to jump through some hoops in terms of the adapter cables required to go from firewire 400 to a thunderbolt 3 port. A 400 to 800 cable (good quality, not by apple as apple do not sell such a cable), then an 800 to a thunderbolt 2 adapter (apple), and a thunderbolt 2 to a thunderbolt 3 adapter (apple).

Ok, well, now what? I would like to use this firewire device to record audio to the macbook, it's an 8 channel interface, so I have installed audacity, and studio one, to record, but my macbook does not see the device as an option for audio input, in both the "Sound" and the "Audio MIDI setup" i haven't found anything to solve the issue.

If I do a "system report", under "FireWire Device Tree", a firewire bus is recognised, with the name "FIRESTUDIO_PROJECT", the manufacturer is identified as "PreSonus" and the maximum speed is identified as "Up to 400 Mb/sec", so all seems correct. But apart from stating this information, I don't have the option to use the firewire device in any capacity.

What can I do to use the device on my new macbook?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 4:30 PM

It may not be possible. It might not have the proper drivers to recognize a device that old. There are generic interface types (such as a hard drive) that might be present, but I'm not sure about something like that. It would up to someone to create a driver and to get Apple to make it available. There probably aren't a whole lot of people using FW400 devices on new MacBook Pros.

That device is discontinued, but they do have some sort of download available for High Sierra called "Universal Control". I'm not sure what it does, but the package could install the drivers you need.

https://www.presonus.com/products/FireStudio-Project/downloads

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2018 4:30 PM in response to andei68

It may not be possible. It might not have the proper drivers to recognize a device that old. There are generic interface types (such as a hard drive) that might be present, but I'm not sure about something like that. It would up to someone to create a driver and to get Apple to make it available. There probably aren't a whole lot of people using FW400 devices on new MacBook Pros.

That device is discontinued, but they do have some sort of download available for High Sierra called "Universal Control". I'm not sure what it does, but the package could install the drivers you need.

https://www.presonus.com/products/FireStudio-Project/downloads

Mar 15, 2018 4:29 PM in response to y_p_w

Hello,

I have attempted your solution, there is indeed a special program on the site called "Universal Control".

When I downloaded and installed it, I must be honest in saying it didn't do a lot for me... that was until I stumbled upon "security and privacy" in the "system preferences".

In the "general" section, there was a small message telling me that "T. C. Electronics was blocked during recent installation" or something like that. Next to it, a button saying "allow". Immediately after clicking, my device was recognised by the MIDI setup, and the "sound" page.

I have tried to record using multiple microphones (simultaneously) after this fix, and it works with no issue.

For someone not involved with sound recording, and without experience with audio interfaces, you have given me a decent working solution, so for this, I thank you!

Mar 15, 2018 6:16 PM in response to andei68

andei68 wrote:

Hello,

I have attempted your solution, there is indeed a special program on the site called "Universal Control".

When I downloaded and installed it, I must be honest in saying it didn't do a lot for me... that was until I stumbled upon "security and privacy" in the "system preferences".

In the "general" section, there was a small message telling me that "T. C. Electronics was blocked during recent installation" or something like that. Next to it, a button saying "allow". Immediately after clicking, my device was recognised by the MIDI setup, and the "sound" page.

I have tried to record using multiple microphones (simultaneously) after this fix, and it works with no issue.

For someone not involved with sound recording, and without experience with audio interfaces, you have given me a decent working solution, so for this, I thank you!

It sounds like you figured it out yourself. I can't take credit for that.

Using firewire 400 device on 2017 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.