Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How to connect 8 channel recorder to USB-C

I have the 2016 MacBook Pro (13" Touch Bar, 4 USB-C ports, Headphone Jack) and I need a way to connect an 8 input, 8 output mixer/audio interface into Logic Pro X to be able to multitrack record (primarily for drums).

I also have the Behringer Xenyx 2222USB mixer but I now know that this being a usb output device is only 2 in 2 out so I need to buy a new desk/audio interface.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated 🙂

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID

Posted on

Page content loaded

Mar 15, 2018 5:30 PM in response to cbjharrison In response to cbjharrison

It being USB has nothing to do with it being 2 in, 2 out. That's just what this device is designed to be. I looked it up on B and H and it shows...

Built-in stereo USB audio Interface to connect directly to a computer

So, it's just giving you the mix down to the computer.

You are correct that you need a new interface, one that will give you the number of inputs you need. Do you really need 8 out? As an example my Sound Devices Mix Pre 6 is an 8 in, 4 out. Hook it up to the computer via USB and pick the input and output channels from Logic. I'm not saying you necessarily want what I have but it is an example of how easy it is with the right interface. I'm just wondering why you need 8 channels back to the mixer from Logic for what you described, but then I'm not a musician.

Good luck!

Mar 15, 2018 5:30 PM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 6:24 AM in response to S.2 In response to S.2

My need for an 8 channel out is primarily so I would be able to mic up a full drum kit and have a separate track for each drum, but at this point in time I see what you mean in it can be a bit easier to mix down on the interface and then send to the mac as 2 or 4 channels. I will have a look at the interface you suggested because from what you have described, looks like it could be better than what I've got.

Thanks for your help!

Mar 16, 2018 6:24 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 16, 2018 12:46 PM in response to cbjharrison In response to cbjharrison

I think there may be some confusion. The in and out is referenced from the computers point of view. So, my Mix Pre 6 has 6 inputs for mics and instruments and then the 2 mix channels (Left and Right). That is how you get to 8 inputs TO the computer. Again on my Mix Pre 6 the 4 out just means that I can get 4 streams OUT of the mac back into the Mix Pre 6. This allows me to add 4 different things from the computer, usually Logic, to mix back in for recording or in my case just for listening back.

This is why I was questioning your need for 8 out. The 8 in, depending on your interface, would give you 8 discrete inputs for your drum mics and then pass along all 8 as ISO's (Isolated Tracks) to Logic and perhaps even a mix as well making it 10 IN. I just didn't see why in your description of your setup why you need 8 channels of audio to come from Logic to your interface.

I hope that clears it up.

BTW, if you're trying to just do 8 drum mics I wouldn't use the mix pre 6 since it'll only give you 6 discrete inputs to the interface itself. If you want super quiet pre-amps and the ability to record the track to an SD card simultaneously with recording in Logic then you may want to look at the Mix Pre 10 line and since for music you may want to look at the Mix Pre 10M. If you don't need that level of quality in the pre-amps and simultaneous recording to the SD card, I'm sure there are other interfaces out there that would give you the 8 ISO's you need for less money. The standalone mixer like you had may be what you need, you'd just need to make sure that it gives you 8 ISO's to the computer not just the left/right mix as the one you mentioned says it does in it's specs.

Mar 16, 2018 12:46 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: cbjharrison

Question: How to connect 8 channel recorder to USB-C