Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit cannot save files

After recent High Sierra upgrade, TextEdit will not save files. I have tried changing extension from ".rtf" to ".txt" and various Preferences including reset to Default. I can't figure out what happened.

iBook G3 & iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Mar 15, 2018 5:30 PM

10 replies

Mar 17, 2018 8:58 AM in response to etresoft

I create New Files in TextEdit and create a document. When I attempt to Name or Save the file, I receive an error message: "The document 'whatever I'm naming it' could not be saved as 'whatever'.txt' You don't have permission." "To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and Chose File -- Get Info." I'm unable to complete this process b/c there is no file to choose. I hope that makes sense.

Mar 18, 2018 4:44 PM in response to etresoft

This created a worse problem: I cannot login my Password for iCloud keychain. The iCloud dialog box is STUCK in the CENTER of the screen. Cannot Cancel it and cannot enter any Password that should work. Trying to Cancel it, creates duplicates and more and more of the same dialog boxes.

The message in the dialog box: "ProtectedCloudKeySyncing wants to use the 'Local Items' keychain. Please enter the keychain password."

No Password is working including the correct one to Restart iMac OS 10.13.3

TextEdit cannot save files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.