Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to recover notes from Time Machine results in "notes can't be modifies....."

Once again a “note” in my my Notes app has mysteriously disappeared. I did not delete it, it just randomly poofed. I had this happen once before that I am aware of, ironically the same subject matter as what disappeared recently.

I've googled galore for solutions.

I've tried 2 things:

1) I went to Time machine, to Applications > Notes > went back to the last couple back ups (March & January) > hit restore but nothing changed plus I got the msg “Notes can’t be modified…..”

2)Went to Finder > Go > Go to folder > Libray/Containers/com.apple.notes/Data/Library/Notes/ > NotesV4.storedata….copied to all 6 files to my desk top, added .html and opened….out of 6 files I found one measly paragraph regarding the notes that I am looking for (proving to me I hadn’t lost my mind!! just my notes!) however I can’t see the rest of the missing notes amongst the cryptic hieroglyphics.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 10:53 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Mar 23, 2018 11:10 AM in response to Eric Root

God day Eric,

when I open external records these are the 3 files:

User uploaded file

when I open those 3 they all have the same content:User uploaded file

I opened all that had "note" in the title, they are all empty except for the odd one that has a file titled "0" which have nothing in them with the exception of the one titled "Note" ....the file titled "0" contains a file that opens to what is shown below which will not open

User uploaded file

I await your thoughts! Thanks Jackie

Mar 22, 2018 6:10 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

sorry for my lack of response to “your reply” to my question regarding recovering notes. I haven't been able to open discussions.apple for days! I still would like to resolve the issue.

The answer would be: I’m not sure! I tried several times over a couple days so I would guess that sometimes yes, I had quit notes and other times no as I would open notes to see if anything materialized and possibly not have closed it when I would try again later…..(hoping persistence would pay off!!)

Thank you for responding

Trying to recover notes from Time Machine results in "notes can't be modifies....."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.