Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Trying to recover notes from Time Machine results in "notes can't be modifies....."

Once again a “note” in my my Notes app has mysteriously disappeared. I did not delete it, it just randomly poofed. I had this happen once before that I am aware of, ironically the same subject matter as what disappeared recently.

I've googled galore for solutions.

I've tried 2 things:

1) I went to Time machine, to Applications > Notes > went back to the last couple back ups (March & January) > hit restore but nothing changed plus I got the msg “Notes can’t be modified…..”

2)Went to Finder > Go > Go to folder > Libray/Containers/com.apple.notes/Data/Library/Notes/ > NotesV4.storedata….copied to all 6 files to my desk top, added .html and opened….out of 6 files I found one measly paragraph regarding the notes that I am looking for (proving to me I hadn’t lost my mind!! just my notes!) however I can’t see the rest of the missing notes amongst the cryptic hieroglyphics.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

You are welcome. See if this helps. After looking through the options, this may be where the Notes are stored.

Notes location

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Mar 22, 2018 6:10 AM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

sorry for my lack of response to “your reply” to my question regarding recovering notes. I haven't been able to open discussions.apple for days! I still would like to resolve the issue.

The answer would be: I’m not sure! I tried several times over a couple days so I would guess that sometimes yes, I had quit notes and other times no as I would open notes to see if anything materialized and possibly not have closed it when I would try again later…..(hoping persistence would pay off!!)

Thank you for responding

Mar 22, 2018 6:10 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 23, 2018 11:10 AM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

God day Eric,

when I open external records these are the 3 files:

User uploaded file

when I open those 3 they all have the same content:User uploaded file

I opened all that had "note" in the title, they are all empty except for the odd one that has a file titled "0" which have nothing in them with the exception of the one titled "Note" ....the file titled "0" contains a file that opens to what is shown below which will not open

User uploaded file

I await your thoughts! Thanks Jackie

Mar 23, 2018 11:10 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 25, 2018 11:00 AM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Eric,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

That worked. Yahoo!

I recovered some possibly all of what disappeared.

I'm a little crossed-eyed from going through all the code but VERY grateful for your help.

Do you know why this happens ?

Many Thanks, Jackie

Mar 25, 2018 11:00 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: ipooch

Question: Trying to recover notes from Time Machine results in "notes can't be modifies....."