Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mixing , mastering , exporting.

Hi there , I’ve just started using GB over the last few months . My recordings are acoustic guitars , vocals and percussion and I’m progressing well . I can mix and edit my tracks and that’s as far as I get . Can’t find my way to the next step , ie mastering , ( save or save as , what’s the difference ? ) exporting etc . Thankyou regards Martin .

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2018 6:28 PM

Martin1833 wrote:

next step , ie mastering

typically ones uses some combination of compression, limiting, and EQ for Mastering; you would use these effects on the Master Track (shift-⌘-m).

note: Mastering is an art form, one that takes a lot of practice, and not something that can be taught in a single forum post. do a web search on "audio mastering" and do some reading

Martin1833 wrote:

save or save as , what’s the difference ?

once a project has been saved for the first time, Save saves the project you are currently working on to the file to which it belongs. Save As would create a new file with your current project, saving your current changes to it.

IOW, the very first time you use Save or Save As on a project, they perform the same function, after that, you are either saving your changes, or creating a new copy of your project with your current changes (good for incremental backups)

Martin1833 wrote:

exporting

User uploaded file

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2018 6:28 PM in response to Martin1833

Martin1833 wrote:

next step , ie mastering

typically ones uses some combination of compression, limiting, and EQ for Mastering; you would use these effects on the Master Track (shift-⌘-m).

note: Mastering is an art form, one that takes a lot of practice, and not something that can be taught in a single forum post. do a web search on "audio mastering" and do some reading

Martin1833 wrote:

save or save as , what’s the difference ?

once a project has been saved for the first time, Save saves the project you are currently working on to the file to which it belongs. Save As would create a new file with your current project, saving your current changes to it.

IOW, the very first time you use Save or Save As on a project, they perform the same function, after that, you are either saving your changes, or creating a new copy of your project with your current changes (good for incremental backups)

Martin1833 wrote:

exporting

User uploaded file

Mar 20, 2018 7:10 AM in response to Martin1833

Just three things:

1) The topic of "mastering" is one of the most misleading, most misguided topic discussed on the audio forums. Mastering is not about what you need to do, but why you need to do it (or not).

2) If anybody talks about GarageBand for iOS and mastering, then you can pretty much stop reading and save your time.

3) I agree with most of the statements of HangTime in this thread.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Mar 16, 2018 7:44 PM in response to Martin1833

GarageBand doesn't come with a mastering program. However after completing your tracks and mixing them to your liking, click the far left button and it will automatically save, but make sure in GB that in the tool settings you have the button for 24 bit resolution on, its under advanced then it will give u 3 diff options , choose the first, share it to files and then if you want to master it my way, then run the file over to the loop section and bring it back in on a new project as a mp4 and just use compression, some eq, and the limiter, keep it out of the red and you will be good. Play it in your car and it will tell u the truth. Are you using a MAc or phone? Makes a big difference. Don't use reverb with GB it gives it a high pitch digital sound instead of true studio. Your probably not sound tiled up to par and your room has echo and reverb so it makes it too much, yeah run it through iTunes unmastered and then bring it back through on a new project page. It says mastering but it doesn't actually have what Presonus One 3 Pro has as a Mastering software. You need a good 4 to 6 dB headroom once you go to master. So keep everything at a low dB, every track and every plug in will add more dB and more heat, don't be too hot or it's distorted

Mar 17, 2018 5:29 PM in response to Martin1833

Martin1833 wrote:

Yep I’m using compression , Reverb etc but not sure how to navigate my way to and through the mastering process .

please, do a web search for "audio mastering."

using effects such as reverb and compression on each track is part of the Mixing process. processing the entire mix to sound its best is part of the Mastering process

Martin1833 wrote:

Do I have to

Show Master Track” is that the next step ?

yes, the Master Track is how you add processors to the entire mix

Mar 17, 2018 5:41 PM in response to seephtheruler

so, so much wrong in this post.

seephtheruler wrote:

GarageBand doesn't come with a mastering program.

GB comes with all the tools you need to preform Mastering of a project

seephtheruler wrote:

However after completing your tracks and mixing them to your liking, click the far left button and it will automatically save

no, it does not. that opens and closes the Library

seephtheruler wrote:

but make sure in GB that in the tool settings you have the button for 24 bit resolution on

the 24-bit resolution does nothing for the export, which is always 16-bit. you need to have ticked the 24-bit checkbox _before_you do any audio recording for it to have any affect on your project

seephtheruler wrote:

if you want to master it my way, then run the file over to the loop section and bring it back in on a new project as a mp4

never, ever, export and reimport an mp4; i can't think of too many things more destructive to a high quality export as this! if you plan to export the file for Mastering, always do so as an uncompressed AIFF file

seephtheruler wrote:

Don't use reverb with GB it gives it a high pitch digital sound instead of true studio.

what? i'm not even sure what this sentence means.

(GB offers some great sounding reverb effects, so feel free to use some if the song needs it)

Mar 17, 2018 6:00 PM in response to HangTime

First of all I was talking about the GB app on the phone!! Secondly I have learned 3 different softwares outside of GarageBand and no bud GB does not have good mastering program it's trash!! People do things different, also where is the meter to check your levels when you master on GB smart guy? Send me one of your tracks to my email and I'll send you one I did with my iMac that I no longer have. I can tell you now you can't track for track with me on a bad day. Secondly if your using reverb then I'm sure you sound like a robot in a cathedral

Mixing , mastering , exporting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.