Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FileVault Oddities in High Sierra

I too encountered the same issue with login process immediately after enabling "FileVault" what's the fix action?

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 4:51 AM

3 replies

Mar 18, 2018 6:45 AM in response to Encryptor5000

my apology ... I see how the posting by it's self seems ambigous - - I was responding to a post I read;

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed odd changes to FileVault recovery options in High Sierra.

With the previous OS, Sierra, I chose to use FileVault's iCloud option to unlock my drive and reset my password in the event I forgot it, and the result of that choice was that the FileVault window in System Preferences indicated that I could use my iCloud account to unlock my drive, and when logging into my Mac, the login window would offer the option to use my appleID/iCloud account if I took more than a minute or so to to log in.

However, after upgrading to High Sierra (with FileVault fully enabled), the above has changed. The FileVault window no longer states that I can unlock my drive with my iCloud account; rather, it says a recovery key is necessary (which I don't have because I was never presented with one, because I never chose that option). And the login screen no longer presents me the option to use my appleID/iCloud account to log in, should I wait longer than a minute or so to enter my local password.

One Apple Care senior advisor I spoke with thought this was strange enough to ask for log files from my Mac. Another senior advisor simply told me that the way to unlock now is to boot into the recovery partition, launch terminal and launch the reset password tool, which in the end does ask for my Apple ID and password. Ok, nice to know there's a workaround, but it just struck me as odd and very "un-Apple-like" (a key functionality requires the use of a terminal command, while the FileVault window makes it clear a "recovery key" is required, when in actuality, that's not quite true, since I chose the iCloud unlock option?)

I'm starting to wonder whether something went strangely awry in my install or if others were noticing this same issue? Before I spent the time doing a clean install to see if that changes anything, I thought I'd reach out here.

Mar 18, 2018 8:05 AM in response to HDROADKINGN1

Thanks for clarifying your question. I actually have the same issue on my MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. I think this issue is isolated to drives formatted as APFS, as my Fusion Drive iMac indicates that my iCloud account is authorized to unlock FileVault even though it’s running High Sierra.

The simplest method of using your Apple ID to reset your password is to wait up to a minute on the FileVault login window until a message appears at the bottom of the screen. Force your Mac to power off by holding down the power button, then power on your Mac normally. Your Mac will proceed to boot straight to the Password Reset Assistant in Recovery Mode.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.