Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with Older MacBook.

I have a mid 2010 13inch MacBook that I tried to load new software on. I erased the hard drive and did the Op/Command R boot up to install Lion on it. Every time I try I get that Lion is temporarily unavailable even though it is in my App store purchases. I cannot get my laptop to download the file so my laptop is virtually dead. I have followed Apples instructions to the letter but to no avail. I do not have any of my old OS X install disks. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Gerry

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 7:28 AM

You need to re-download Lion from the Purchases page in the App Store. You can only use your Recovery HD to erase the volume and reinstall the version of macOS you already had installed.

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible backup your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This will install the version of OS X you had installed.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2018 7:28 AM in response to Gerald Baes

You need to re-download Lion from the Purchases page in the App Store. You can only use your Recovery HD to erase the volume and reinstall the version of macOS you already had installed.

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible backup your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This will install the version of OS X you had installed.

Mar 17, 2018 12:39 PM in response to Gerald Baes

Your model came with a special version of Snow Leopard on DVDs. To install anything above that version requires you install Lion. You can install Lion without having to first install Snow Leopard. Either have your recovery DVDs available or install Lion.

You can purchase Lion at the Online Apple Store. The cost is $19.99 (as it was before) plus tax. It's a download. You will get an email containing a redemption code that you then use at the Mac App Store to download Lion. Save a copy of that installer to your Downloads folder because the installer deletes itself at the end of the installation.

Are my applications compatible? See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

To install Snow Leopard from your DVDs:

Snow Leopard Erase and Install

If possible be sure to back up your files.

1. Insert Snow Leopard DVD into the optical drive and restart the computer.
  2. Immediately upon hearing the chime hold down the C key.
  3. Release the key when the Apple logo appears and wait for the loading to finish.
  4. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities' menu. After Disk Utility loads select the out-dented disk entry from the side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive size.) Click on the Partition tab in the Disk Utility’s right window. Set the number of partitions to one (1) from the drop down menu. Click on the Options button and select GUID, click OK button, set the format type to MacOS Extended, Journaled. Finally, click on the Apply button.
  5. After formatting has finished quit Disk Utility. Continue with the OS X installation and follow the directions.
  6. When the installation has finished the computer will restart into the Setup Assistant. After you complete the Setup Assistant you will be running a fresh installation of Snow Leopard. Open Software Update and install the recommended updates.
  7. Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1.
  8. Go to the App Store for further upgrading. See How to download macOS High Sierra to find out what you must first install in order to upgrade to High Sierra.

Mar 18, 2018 7:32 AM in response to Gerald Baes

Thanks for the help. I went out today to get Lion but the cod for it won't be here till 1-3 days via email. My Appstore won't let me download it again for free so I had to go to the Apple website and order it. As soon as I get it I will do everything you told me and will try again. I guess I need more learning when it comes to my iMac & MacBook. Thought I was up to date but obviously not. I will get back to you as my journey continues. Thanks for all your help so far.

Gerry

Mar 18, 2018 10:27 AM in response to Gerald Baes

When you get the download code from Apple you need to use the App Store to redeem the coupon. Follow instructions for doing so from the App Store by clicking on the Redeem link that you will find under Quick Links on the far right of App Store's opening page. Once you redeem the coupon you will be able to download the Lion installer. Be sure you have a solid Internet connection because if the download fails you cannot redeem the coupon again. Upon completion of the download, you should find the installer in your Applications folder. Immediately make a copy and move it into your Downloads folder for safekeeping. Once Lion is installed the installer will self-delete. If the installer launches itself then quit the installer so you can make your bootable flash drive installer.

Help with Older MacBook.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.