Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are photos with FullSizeRender.jpg filename?

Apple Photos shows number of my photos to be about 26000. An external app, Investigator, and Google Photos count about 46,000. Found out many in Investigator with identical file name FullSizeRender. It seems all photos I edited and cropped have FullSizeRender photo in addition to regular photo with file name ending in .heic or .jpg. Can I delete the FullSizeRender to free up space? How can I do this quickly?

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 1:39 AM

They are what are used if you access your Library via the Media Browser. And, as Larry says, if you delete them then you risk massive data loss.

If space is a premium you can move your whole library to an external disk, frformatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

6 replies

Mar 18, 2018 3:37 AM in response to antoinec0429

Which version of MacOS are you using?

The previews, mentioned by Larry and TD are called fullsizeoutput_<some cryptic number>.jpeg or fullsizeinput_<some cryptic number>.jpeg in Photos 3 on macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

On this system version I am only finding files called FullSizeRender.jpg in my user library - they are in the folder for mail attachments, notes, or message attachments.

Did you share any photos by mail or messages? Then you need to delete the corresponding messages or clear the attachments to save storage.

Mar 18, 2018 4:33 AM in response to léonie

Leonie, I am using High Sierra. I started using Google Photos as a backup to Apple Photos, and noticed the photo count to be 46000 instead of the 26000 in Apple Photos.

Yesterday, I downloaded Investigator, which let me see the file names for the first time. Then I started to notice the many photos with the same name FullSizeRender.jpg. In Apple Photos, all of the photos I have taken, not the ones I scanned in, either using Photomyne or a regular scanner, have the name IMG plus a number .jpg or recently .heic.

Incidentally, the photos in iCloud Photo Library is about 40GB, same photos in iPhone is 17GB.

Thank you once again for your response.

What are photos with FullSizeRender.jpg filename?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.