Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SD card eject error ...

I ve just started using the SD card reader on MBA every time Computer goes to sleep , "disk not ejected properly"

message pops up . And I gain a Mackintosh HD icon on the desk top ?

i.Ve cleared the MAC HD icon thing but the bad eject is a pain.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 1:33 AM

3 replies

Mar 19, 2018 7:44 PM in response to jpjam

Hello jpjam,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand you are encountering a "Disk not ejected properly" error when your MacBook Air goes to sleep. I would be happy to help point you in the right direction from here. Let's start by checking if this behavior changes when your Energy Saver preferences are adjusted.

Following the steps in the support article below, deselect the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" checkbox:

macOS Sierra: Energy Saver System Preferences
If the issue still occurs, the next step is to isolate if the error is specific to a user account:
How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support
Specifically, use these steps:

Use another account for testing

If another user account is already set up on your Mac, you can simply log out of your account (Apple menu > Log Out) and log in with the other account. But the best way to test is with a newly created account:

1. Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
  2. Click User uploaded file, then enter an administrator name and password.
  3. Click the Add button (+) below the list of users.
  4. Complete the fields shown for a Standard or Administrator account, then click Create Account (or OK).

If you plan to test with any of the documents in your own account, make those documents available to the new account. Drag them to the Shared folder of the Users folder on your hard drive (~/Users/Shared). You can then move them to other folders after you log in as the new user.

Then log out of your account and log in with the new account:

1. Choose Apple menu > Log out.
  2. At the login window, log in with the name and password of the new account. If you're also asked to sign in with an iCloud account or Apple ID, skip that step.

Now try to reproduce the issue in the new account. If you need to set up an email account or other account in order to test, you can do so.

Keep us posted with what happens from here.

Cheers!

Mar 21, 2018 5:07 PM in response to jpjam

Hi jpjam ,

I appreciate you following up with the additional information. There are some limitations as to which SD card formats and sizes work in the SD slot on your MacBook. You can view more information here:

About the SD and SDXC card slot on your Mac - Apple Support

Since the SD card you would like to use exceeds 32GB, check out this section specifically:

Does the SD slot work with cards that exceed 32GB?

Yes. However, most media manufacturers preformat the media using common block-and-cluster sizes that don’t approach the theoretical limits of a given file system.

Most SD cards use the FAT32 file format, and preformatted FAT32 SD media is commonly available up to a capacity of 32GB. Media that exceeds 32GB usually uses the exFAT file system, while some smaller capacity cards use the FAT16 file format. Preformatted FAT16 media is generally available up to a capacity of 2GB.

If you use OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.5 or later, you can find out which file system you’re using:

1. Insert the media into the SD card slot.
  2. Choose Apple menu > About This Mac.
  3. Click System Report.
  4. In the Hardware section, click Card Reader, and find the File System field.

Take care.

Mar 21, 2018 11:07 AM in response to CarlAVII

Thank you for your reply . The first step seams simple , the second makes my head hert just reading it.( I am dislexic)

i am aprihensive take the step as I have made one SD card unreadable . All I wanted to do was install a 120GB SD card in the slot to have on board extra storage . Seams like my MBA does not like the card.

do I need to format the card for Mac OS to use at this size?

Jpj

SD card eject error ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.