Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to remove broken iPhone from "Associated Devices" DRM list

I'm unable to remove a broken iPhone from the (iTunes/App Store DRM) Associated Devices list (ref: View and remove your associated devices in iTunes - Apple Support).

This is what I see (across the family we have 10 devices). Note that devices associated as far back as 5/2016 show with "1 day remaining" and "Remove" is unclickable. The "1 day remaining" does not change from day-to-day, I believe it's a misleading message resulting from a bug.

User uploaded file

I suspect Apple has to fix this. Wonder if anyone else sees it and if it's somehow related to adding Apple Music to my account.

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2018 8:08 PM

We have a fix. On my second try with Support I called iCloud support and was escalated to the "Senior Advisor" level. Andrew and I worked the problem and found that you now need to work with https://appleid.apple.com/account/manage. There's now a section called Devices that lists devices signed into. In my case it listed all 10 devices that use the same iTunes Apple ID, so by "signed in" it means "signed in with Apple ID for iTunes/DRM".

Click on device and you get a remove option.

Weirdly the first time I did this I refreshed and the device was back. I removed again and it stayed dead.

The iTunes Manage Devices (Account:View My Account:iTunes in the Cloud:Manage Devices) screen did not update after doing this, it still showed the device I removed. I think it's broken. (Though, curiously, I was able from there to sign my iPhone 8 out of iTunes and that reenabled the Remove button, albeit with the broken '1 day remaining' screen, and after signing it back in the Remove button is still active.)

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2018 8:08 PM in response to turingtest2

We have a fix. On my second try with Support I called iCloud support and was escalated to the "Senior Advisor" level. Andrew and I worked the problem and found that you now need to work with https://appleid.apple.com/account/manage. There's now a section called Devices that lists devices signed into. In my case it listed all 10 devices that use the same iTunes Apple ID, so by "signed in" it means "signed in with Apple ID for iTunes/DRM".

Click on device and you get a remove option.

Weirdly the first time I did this I refreshed and the device was back. I removed again and it stayed dead.

The iTunes Manage Devices (Account:View My Account:iTunes in the Cloud:Manage Devices) screen did not update after doing this, it still showed the device I removed. I think it's broken. (Though, curiously, I was able from there to sign my iPhone 8 out of iTunes and that reenabled the Remove button, albeit with the broken '1 day remaining' screen, and after signing it back in the Remove button is still active.)

Mar 22, 2018 7:47 PM in response to jfaughnan

Well, that Apple Support experience did not go well. I setup a 9pm call back and they did call me on time. First tech escalated to senior tech, senior tech said they were sending me to another department, then after another 5 minutes screen sharing died, then I spent 15 minutes listening to electronic and hip-hop hold music then I gave up and hung up.😟

So no progress on this one and didn't even get to talk to anyone I could tell about the problem. I'll give it a few weeks and see if it gets fixed, meanwhile I'll do "feedback" (generally pointless).

Unable to remove broken iPhone from "Associated Devices" DRM list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.