Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iTunes import digital from my recorder?

I have a Sony digital recorder, and would like to make mp3/4 recording of some lp record music which does not exist in iTunes or Amazon. After recording the music on my Sony, I can use the USB to attach to my iMac desktop, but I don't know what setting to use in iTunes (or anything else) to import the recording. Help, pls.

iMac, iOS 10.3.3, actually, 10.13.3

Posted on Mar 20, 2018 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2018 9:45 AM

Fortunately, my Millenial arrived and did this:

1. Go to magnifying glass in top right of desktop
  2. Type in “automatically add to itunes”
  3. Right click > Copy MP3 file
  4. Right click in “automatically add to itunes” folder > Paste Item
  5. Wait for file to disappear > if it does not disappear the transfer was incomplete
  6. If file disappears in step 5, go into iTunes and search in “Library” search bar for the exact file name.
  7. File can be renamed prior or after transfer; preferably before.

Thanks for your help ;-)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2018 9:45 AM in response to turingtest2

Fortunately, my Millenial arrived and did this:

1. Go to magnifying glass in top right of desktop
  2. Type in “automatically add to itunes”
  3. Right click > Copy MP3 file
  4. Right click in “automatically add to itunes” folder > Paste Item
  5. Wait for file to disappear > if it does not disappear the transfer was incomplete
  6. If file disappears in step 5, go into iTunes and search in “Library” search bar for the exact file name.
  7. File can be renamed prior or after transfer; preferably before.

Thanks for your help ;-)

Mar 21, 2018 12:36 PM in response to Ol@Guy

Ol@Guy wrote:

I have a Sony digital recorder, and would like to make mp3/4 recording of some lp record music which does not exist in iTunes or Amazon. After recording the music on my Sony, I can use the USB to attach to my iMac desktop, but I don't know what setting to use in iTunes (or anything else) to import the recording. Help, pls.

There is no setting in iTunes that will affect it. Just make sure your Sony recorder is creating the file in MP3 format. Then when it is USB connected to your iMac desktop, drag the MP3 file to the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder, which you can find inside the iTunes Media folder. Assuming iTunes is running, it will notice the file and add it to your iTunes library.

Not sure which model recorder you are using, but I hope it is a good quality audio recorder. The Sony recorders I have seen are optimized for voice recordings. They produce low bit-rate files that are fine for voice but sound c**ppy for music.

Can iTunes import digital from my recorder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.