Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

final cut pro x crashes when browsing transitions

Final Cut Pro X crashes when I browse the Transitions, although I was able to select an insert an "Airbrush Horizontal Thick" transition. Also, a large number of Transitions have "Trial expired" written on them despite the fact this is a paid-for app that was never used as a trial version.

I started a New Project adding video from an existing Library. That Project crashes as well and I have to reopen FCPX.

The Library and video assets are stored on an external hard drive.

About my iMac:

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017

3.4 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB2400 MHz DDR4 memory

Radeon Pro 570 4 GB graphics

Final Cut Pro X version 10.4

macOS High Sierra version 10.13.3

I hope someone can help solve this crash-issue. Thank you.

Final Cut Pro X, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 9:35 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 21, 2018 12:33 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

You solved the transitions-related crashing problem. The problem was because I had old, outdated, trial-version plugin transitions. They were from CoreMelt. Funny thing is, I installed those years ago in Final Cut Pro 7 on another computer.

It seems FCP X 10.4 migrated third-party plugins from my previous computer (running FCP7) when I got a new iMac about a week ago.

Background: Years ago I wanted to run CoreMelt's "VeeYou" plugin, but ran into problems because my computer couldn't handle the software; I had too slow a computer. Back then, I downloaded some CoreMelt transitions to try, but didn't buy the package after the trial period expired.

CoreMelt's website has a notice from December 2017. "Only versions released after 9th Oct 2017 will function correctly in High Sierra and FCP X 10.4." The notice goes on to say one just needs to download and install the plugins again. The issue was macOS High Sierra came out and some of the earlier CoreMelt versions hadn't been updated to reflect High Sierra's software, and some of the plugins caused crashes. CoreMelt has since updated their software to work with High Sierra and FCP X 10.4.

I chose to fix the crashing by uninstalling the outdated CoreMelt plugins. I could have downloaded the updated CoreMelt plugins–and paid for the trial-versions–and everything likely would have ran just fine.

To sum up: you were correct that a trial-version, third-party plugin caused FCP X 10.4 to crash. I fixed the problem with your help.

Thank you for helping to solve the crash-problem.

final cut pro x crashes when browsing transitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.