Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden Latency in Logic X after High Sierra Update?

I am having significant latency related issues with Logic X a week or so after latest OS updates. Currently running High Sierra 10.13.3. I have been using Logic for over 12 years and Logic X for about 5 (ever since they released it). Aside from the occasional pain of "system overload" during playback, I have NEVER had latency issues that were not fixable through tweaking preferences - i.e. buffer size, LLM, removing plug-ins in channel or master tracks, etc. I have recorded with 1024 (or whatever the highest buffer rate is) for years with absolutely no similar issues. Like I said, if there were latency issues I know how to fix them.

About a week after upgrading, what I'm experiencing severe latency issues, primarily through software instruments. Piano Roll, using a control surface, I can literally see the marks are about 1/4 note off the measures. I talked with Apple for hours and the best they could do was go into Preferences (Not in Logic, in library) and remove the logic.plists. When they did that the latency stopped but now everything is hitting about 1/4 note too soon. This is happening during tracking and playback. I have tried going to 128 buffer size and everything in between to no avail. All updated drivers installed in interface. I have troubleshot every possible scenario that would usually be suggested on forums and nothing has changed whatsoever. Ultrabeat seems to work pretty close (but not perfect) but when I change to other drum kits it throws everything off. I can quantize the notes but then the audio files are out of time. It's a whole thing.

Anyone else experienced this?

Is it time for a new machine?

Seemed to be working fine a month ago.

I'm running:

MacBook Pro mid 2010

17 inch.

2.66 GHz Intel Core i7.

8Gig Ram.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB

Intel HD Graphics 288 MB

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 22, 2018 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2018 6:15 PM

HFS+ had support for directory hard links (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_link).

When Apple introduced Logic Pro X they decided to move the Logic user folder from ~/Library/Application Support/Logic to ~/Music/Audio Music Apps.

A hard linked directory was created so that all the Logic Pro 9 content was accessible if you had previously installed LP9.

This link broke when Apple triggered the automatic file system change to APFS when updating to High Sierra:

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/FileManagement/Concept ual/APFS_Guide/FAQ/FAQ.html

Later versions of Logic Pro X have fixed this anomaly but there are still instances when this issue could potentially have occurred.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2018 6:15 PM in response to Pancenter

HFS+ had support for directory hard links (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_link).

When Apple introduced Logic Pro X they decided to move the Logic user folder from ~/Library/Application Support/Logic to ~/Music/Audio Music Apps.

A hard linked directory was created so that all the Logic Pro 9 content was accessible if you had previously installed LP9.

This link broke when Apple triggered the automatic file system change to APFS when updating to High Sierra:

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/FileManagement/Concept ual/APFS_Guide/FAQ/FAQ.html

Later versions of Logic Pro X have fixed this anomaly but there are still instances when this issue could potentially have occurred.

Mar 27, 2018 1:15 PM in response to Cuauhtemoc

So turns out it’s not a hardware issue at all. Had my tech buddy come over and he had to go in the terminal and change some stuff. I don’t talk computer but from what he told me is that when high Sierra was released there was some beta stuff that logic X was not compatible with. I have no idea what that means or if I’m saying it correctly but if I understood what he was saying correctly it was an internal compatibility issue between High Sierra’s coding and pro Apple apps. Thank for the reply!!

FYI, I use Firestudio Project.

Sudden Latency in Logic X after High Sierra Update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.