Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Logic" very SLOW in IMAC 2017

HI friends, I am using a translator because my English is not good, I wanted to tell you my frustration and can help me.

I bought an iMac 2017 with these features:

3.4 GHz Intel Core i5 4-core and 3.4 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.8 GHz)

8 GB of 2400 MHz DDR4 memory

1 TB Fusion Drive

I use maCOS Sierra 10.12.6

Logic pro x 10.3.2

When I'm playing a session, it stops with this message:

"Disk is too slow or System Overload"

The load meters (CPU) are apparently very low but suddenly it stops.

this message can come out to me using 20 tracks of audio and midi or only 3 tracks of audio, with many plugins or none; the buffer in 512 and sampling at 44khz. I work only with Logic and no window open.

what could be the reason ????, I thought about buying this machine because in my macbook pro 2012 I already had this problem (stronger) but I thought to solve it with this machine.

I hope you can help me or give me a suggestion, thank you very much. :-( :-(

Logic Pro X, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 1:31 AM

The translator you're using is very good. Your English is better than 37% of all Americans.

It would help to know the settings of Logic's Preferences/Audio/Devices.

How much free hard drive space do you have?

Similar questions

10 replies

Sep 30, 2018 2:53 PM in response to Pancenter

I have to change it to "Playback Tracks" ??

I have always had doubts about it, what exactly does it do and what does it affect?

In other forum I had read that it had to be" the reproduction and the tracks live "so that the logic worked faster, but I was not convinced, because in the logical page it said the opposite.

What I do not understand, why the problem should be the hard drive; in the "load meters" it shows that the AUDIO CPU is what general generates the most problems.

the "Disk i / o" refers to the hard drive? and "Audio" to RAM and processor ??

User uploaded file

I hope you can help me to continue clarifying my doubts, thank you very much.

Sep 30, 2018 5:16 PM in response to Percys

Ok, thanks for the graphics, that helps.

First, definitely set multithreading to playback tracks for now.

This document is a little over a year old but may help explain why you have a single CPU core being used 100%

Logic Pro/Express: Tips for balancing multi-core performance - Apple Support

In this case it looks like the drive is not the problem but you really should freeup some space.

Sep 30, 2018 10:58 AM in response to Pancenter

thank you very much.

-buffer size: 512 (I also change it to 1024 but I do not feel a significant change and I prefer to leave it at 512 to be able to record and not be changing)

-processing threads: automatic

-process buffer range: medium

-multithreading: playback & live tracks

-summing: high precision (64 bit)

-rewire behavior: off

Sample Rate: 48khz (when I change it to 44khz it improves a little bit)

As I mentioned, the load meters (CPU) AUDIO, are apparently very low but suddenly it stops.

And yes, with respect to the hard drive, since 4 weeks ago I have almost full, only I have available 25 gigas of 1T (fusion drive). but I remember that it was the same before, could it be making the problem worse?

thank you very much.

Oct 1, 2018 1:12 PM in response to Pancenter

thank you for this information

I followed the instructions of the link that you gave me, but I can not distribute the cores, I am afraid that the instructions are very old, and in the current one it does not work. Will there be another method of distributing the nuclei?

what worries me is that I see that all the nuclei are in very low levels (very few tracks and pluggings), and suddenly one of them jumps and "the message appears".

What could that be? Thank you.

"Logic" very SLOW in IMAC 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.