Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there security level settings for Mail.app?

I am using Mail.app on a Mac running Mac OS 10.13. I am trying to set up a new account with an online company, using my Gmail email address. Verifying my address is a required step in the process. They claim they are sending a confirmation email to me, but I am not receiving the email. It is apparently being blocked by the Gmail servers due to something about SPF (Sender Policy Framework). I reported the issue and the tech support folks at the company wrote back and said This is related to firewall setting of your email and you should check junk mailbox. Your email security is set too high, with SPF service enabled, so it automatically blocks our cloud mail. But I don’t see any email security level settings in either Gmail or Mail.app so I'm not sure what he is talking about.

BTW, I deleted the account and re-registered it using my iCloud email address instead, and their confirmation email came to my inbox within seconds of clicking Verify Email, so this appears to be an issue with Gmail blocking their emails, not a Mac issue.

Has anyone else had this issue? Are there any workarounds? I don’t like to create accounts using my iCloud address because it invites spam, which is why I have the Gmail address for such purposes.

Thanks for any help with this.

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 23, 2018 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2018 11:06 AM

There are no security settings in Mail. It relies on the computer's security. If the problem is related to the firewall and you have it enabled, then try disabling it. There are security settings in your modem and router but they would affect all Internet traffic, not just Mail's.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2018 11:06 AM in response to Ranger Ric

There are no security settings in Mail. It relies on the computer's security. If the problem is related to the firewall and you have it enabled, then try disabling it. There are security settings in your modem and router but they would affect all Internet traffic, not just Mail's.

Mar 23, 2018 1:35 PM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas wrote:

Did you log into gmail via the browser interface—from there check your junk mail folder.

https://mail.google.com/

Yes, that's the first thing I checked, although it should not be necessary with Imap, since the junk folder will sync messages to Mail.app. just like any other folder (see below). There was no message in the junk folder, either in the browser interface or in Mail.app, and if there was, I could have simply verified the account by responding to that email. Bottom line is that their verification email to me was blocked at the Gmail server so I never received it. Which means (I think) that they need to fix the problem at their end, I can't do it from my end.

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Mar 23, 2018 11:51 AM in response to Ranger Ric

I don't really know. I don't use Outlook on a Mac or on Windows, so I am not qualified to answer the question as it relates to Outlook.

If you are using Apple Mail and have the system's firewall turned off, then I can't really tell you why you are having such a problem. Have you looked in your Junk mail folder to see if it was moved there from the Inbox? If Gmail is blocking the message then your only recourse is to ask if they would take your ISP off their blacklist.

Mar 23, 2018 11:59 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

If Gmail is blocking the message then your only recourse is to ask if they would take your ISP off their blacklist.

Do you mean I should ask Google to take my ISP off of their blacklist, or to take the ISP of the company that is sending the verification email off of their blacklist? I don't think I have the authority to do the latter.... 😐

Mar 23, 2018 12:19 PM in response to Kappy

No, and sorry if my original post was not clear. This has nothing to do with my ISP. The account I am creating is with a company called TP-Link (www.tp-link.com/us/). They are the ones sending me the verification email that is being blocked by Gmail. It is their tech support folks who I quoted in my post, and whose reply I am trying to understand if it makes sense on a Mac.

Mar 23, 2018 1:05 PM in response to Ranger Ric

Ranger Ric wrote:

There's nothing wrong with my address

this is something that the sending company needs to do (i.e. they need to whitelist their address), right? If so, I will send them the link.

Did you log into gmail via the browser interface—from there check your junk mail folder.

https://mail.google.com/

Mark as not junk/whitelist the senders address.

Mark or unmark Spam in Gmail - Gmail Help

Mar 23, 2018 2:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

Interesting, and thanks for taking the time to help with this. The weird thing is that this issue occurs regardless of the sender. In fact, I have not been able to create online accounts with any company that requires email verification unless I use my .mac email, for the same reason .... their verification emails never arrive in my Gmail inbox, so I am unable to verify the address as valid. It almost seems as Gmail is bloicking verification emails no matter the sending domain. Go figure. At this point it's all academic, since I was able to create the account(s) using myt .mac address and that works fine.

Apr 10, 2018 9:00 AM in response to Ranger Ric

Hi all. I'm the OP and I wanted to update you with how this mystery was finally solved. Turns out I had at some point in the past (that I had forgotten all about) created a bunch of filters in the Gmail browser interface in an attempt to control incoming junk mail. In recently reviewing those filters I found one that contained "no-reply" in the address, which (of course) is part of the address that is sent by the verification email. And the filter was (of course) set up to delete the email. Once I removed that filter I was finally able to receive the verification email from the company. Two lessons I learned: 1) if I'm using Mail.app to access my gmail (via imap), it's best to define rules in Mail as opposed to defining them in gmail (so I won't forget they are there), and 2) when creating a filter, it's best to have the message moved to junk folder, as opposed to deleted outright (so it remains visible). Live and learn...😁

Thanks again to leroydouglas for your help in solving this issue.

Are there security level settings for Mail.app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.