Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WebDAV and Mac Finder failed login

I have a Synology NAS DS415+ and multiple Macbooks and have been struggling with a WebDAV login problem. It wasn't an issue until recently because I could access files on the NAS via Mac Safari browser but now I want to use WebDAV to mount the NAS volume in Finder. I've read many Apple and Synology forum posts from users with similar struggles to mine but I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here's some info:

I can login into WebDAV both locally and remote using Cyberduck, CalDAV and Synology DSfile (on iPhone). This means router and WebDAv port forwarding is correct. It also means user permissions and password are correct. However I cannot login either local or remote using Cmnd+K "Connect to Server". I get the usual Finder server login dialog box so I presume this means I am reaching the NAS but when I enter username and password I get an error message "There was a problem connecting to the server. Check the server name or IP address". If I deliberately enter a wrong password it simply returns to the login screen. WebDAV log shows CalDAV and DSfile logins but no reports of failed logins via Cmnd+K. I've run out of ideas and would really appreciate help.

mbp, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 23, 2018 4:25 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 25, 2018 4:02 AM in response to muximus

Whenever I've done this using the finder I always precede the connection with http:// or https:// (assuming the WebDAV service on your server is using self-signed certificates). You've not said so perhaps its not working because you're not doing it this way? By default OS X uses smb or afp as the default protocols when entering the IP address or hostname of the server using command+k. Try it anyway as you've nothing to lose. You may already know the following but I'll give it here just in case:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202944

Secure WebDAV uses port 443.

Mar 25, 2018 9:37 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Firstly, in response to the question about server protocol, I'm using https with a non-standard WAN WebDAV port that correctly forwards to the local WebDAV port 5006. Let me emphasis I can access WebDAV server using Cyberduck and CalDAV and Synology DSfile (on iPhone) on first login attempt. Let me also repeat I HAVE been able to sporadically login using Finder Connect To Server Cmnd+K but only when booted from macOS Sierra. On those occasions when I actually successfully login it is after repeated attempts, as many as ten or twenty attempts. The key point here is the fact that because I am able to login even just once proves user permission, password, IP address and port forwarding are all correct otherwise I could not have logged at all. [Note - I have never been able to login when booted from macOS Hi-Sierra despite repeated attempts. These tests are on clean installs of Sierra 10.12.5 and Hi-Sierra 10.13.2.]

What's interesting is after a failed login I'm greeted with error message "There was a problem connecting to the server xxx.xxxxx.xx" followed by "Check the server name or IP address, and then try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your system administrator". If I purposely enter an incorrect password it doesn't immediately display this error message but after a brief pause reverts to a jiggly login dialog box with the password highlighted in blue. WebDAV security is set to block an IP after three failed login attempts, which is does for the purposely wrong login, but when the correct credentials are entered there's no IP block and no evidence of a login in the WebDAV log, it simply fails to perform the login process.

Your thoughts?

Mar 25, 2018 11:53 PM in response to muximus

Check that the DNS or mDNS is translating as expected. If the DNS configuration is appropriately confused, it's very possible to have some connections work and some fail.

Does this operate locally? If you're operating with external clients and connecting inward through a firewall and into a NAT'd network and working with a non-standard port, that's a more complex configuration. Can you get this to work on the local NAT'd network first, and then try the remote connection?

Mar 26, 2018 5:15 AM in response to MrHoffman

Would you please clarify your question regarding DNS. Are you asking about the router, the Mac or the DS.

I get the same sporadic login (when booted in Sierra) regardless of local or remote. Regarding non-standard ports, even when using standard external ports, e.g. 5005 for http and 5006 for https, the problem remains. Note the same non-standard ports are used to successfully and immediately login to CalDAV which, as you know, is running on the WebDAV server.

Another puzzle is why sometimes, usually after repeated attempts, can I login when booted from Sierra but never from H-Sierra (clean installs).

I've opened a ticket with Synology and will post here if they figure out what's causing this. In the meantime if you or any other readers has more ideas I like to hear from you.

Mar 26, 2018 8:35 AM in response to muximus

macOS with server installed really wants DNS configured, whether it's DNS running locally on the NAT'd network and the private IP address, or public DNS when configured at a public static IP.

DNS causes all sorts of weirdnesses, when it's not correctly configured. Authentication is one of the areas that tends to get into trouble, too.

In addition to checking that the public DNS translations are correct and that the forward name-to-address translation and the address-to-name translations produce the same host, also check the local NAT'd network DNS translation and the name-to-address and address-to-name translation there. The dig and dig -x commands can be used, or you can use Spotlight to find and launch the well-hidden Network Utility to perform the same forward and reverse translations.

But if CalDAV is working reliably and if you're using the same host name or IP address for both CalDAV and and WebDAV, then this probably isn't DNS that's causing the issue. This assumes CalDAV is running on macOS Server box on the Xserve system hardware, or on the Synology box, and that WebDAV is running on the Synology box.

That 10.12 is working implies a problem or a change with 10.13 is involved, though whether it's going to be considered a bug in macOS or in the Synology box isn't clear.

I expect you're headed for more discussions with the Synology support folks.

Mar 27, 2018 1:18 PM in response to MrHoffman

I received this reply from Synology Tech Support:

Testing it on our systems here, El Capitan was working fine, however High Sierra did not. After doing so, I remember something about webDav being broken in High Sierra. It turns out that the WebDAV client part of Finder is broken on High Sierra and since it is an issue with Finder and not the NAS, there isn't anything we can do to get around this issue besides recommending a 3rd party client until Apple fixes the issue.

END QUOTE

This seems to end my quest for answers from Synology. I will pursue through Apple bug/tech support.

Apr 10, 2018 12:39 PM in response to muximus

For those who might be interested I had further exchange with Synology tech support, including packet capture of failed login using Finder cmnd+k and successful login using Cyberduck. Synology was not able to resolve this issue and no further action is planned, saying "it's up to Apple to fix their Finder". In the meantime I have been using a third party app called Mountain Duck ($40). This app does what Finder is supposed to do but doesn't. Mountain Duck mounts NAS remote volumes in Finder.

WebDAV and Mac Finder failed login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.