Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme cannot find network

We have recently switched internet provides to one that provides fiber optics. We have two airport extremes to extend the wireless network (that worked perfectly when we had DSL). Our provider put in a Calix GigaFamily Service 854G-1. Our airport extremes are contect to the Calix via ethernet cables. Here is a screen shot from airport utility running on my iPad User uploaded file

But when I click on either device I get the following

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The problem is the airports cannot find my network. I do not want them to join wirelessly (as they are connected with ethernet). But when I go into to configure (I've done this several times and reset the devices to factory default), anytime I configure to connect using ethernet it switches itself back to connect wirelessly. Here are configuration screenshots from one of the devices. Any ideas on why they can't find the network. Thanks.

User uploaded file

Posted on Mar 24, 2018 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2018 1:29 PM

Thanks so much. This worked. The wording was confusing to me in the utility, I thought we wanted to extend our existing wireless network with the extremes connected with ethernet, not know the two were mutually exclusive. We are now seeing the new wireless network on our devices and everthing seems to be working well again.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2018 1:29 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks so much. This worked. The wording was confusing to me in the utility, I thought we wanted to extend our existing wireless network with the extremes connected with ethernet, not know the two were mutually exclusive. We are now seeing the new wireless network on our devices and everthing seems to be working well again.

Mar 24, 2018 1:24 PM in response to lyndafromkentucky

If you have factory reset then it should have swapped correctly.

I can see it is trying to use Join a wireless network.. which is really poor. Apple removed it from later airport utility.. I think you are seeing it because you are using the old 5.6 utility on a PC.

Go to the wireless tab and change the setting to create a wireless network on both Extremes.

Use the same name on both.. and same password.. but use WPA2 Personal security. Your selection of WPA/WPA2 is going to cause issues.

If you have problems still give us screenshots of the actual setup pages from airport utility.

Airport Extreme cannot find network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.