Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan: Mail links open in non-default browser

This issue comes up everytime I restart my computer. I have Firefox set as my default browser but when I open a link from mail it opens Safari - EVEN though it is not set as the default. So I go to system prefs > general and the default browser setting is *blank* - empty, plus the menu selection only shows a check mark, no browser list.

I tried changing the default to chrome and back but still safari opens...

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 24, 2018 7:14 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 25, 2018 7:35 AM in response to Zaphple

Good morning Zaphple!

It sounds like you're having an issue with your default browser setting for Mail. It's important to have the browser preferences you prefer, so I'll be happy to help out.

The System Preferences > General > Default web browser pop-up menu should not be blank. Here's what you should be seeing to change your browser setting:
Set the default email app or web browser on your Mac - Apple Support

Specifically, here's the steps:

How to set a default web browser

If you're using OS X Yosemite or later:

1. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences, then click General.
  2. Choose your web browser from the ”Default web browser” pop-up menu.

If you're using OS X Mavericks or earlier:

1. Open Safari.
  2. From the Safari menu, choose Preferences, then click General.
  3. Choose your web browser from the ”Default web browser” pop-up menu.

If this is where you're seeing a "blank" option then try starting in safe mode to see if the options appear correctly there. Here's how to start in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If you're able to change your setting in safe mode, go ahead and change it then restart your Mac. If you're still seeing a blank option, let us know.

Take care!

Apr 7, 2018 10:40 PM in response to Zaphple

I have finally cracked this issue:

When Firefox updates is when it occurs (on restart)

Firefox is down as the default browser but Chrome opens instead.

In Sys prefs/general there is nothing in the default browser list (it's blank)

Chrome says it isn't the default browser. Firefox says it is.

---

I tried changing the default to Chrome, with the thought to change it back (both changes from WITHIN the browser) - the browsers recognised the change and so did sysprefs/general *however I had to close sysprefs and reopen for it to see the change at each step.

THIS DID NOT solve the problem

---

I then did the same thing - i.e. changed the default to Chrome, but then changed it to Firefox (because now it's showing) in system prefs/general.

THAT WORKS -

-- Other observation when I was changing from within Chromw it said dod you want to change to CHrome or keep "Org.mozilla.firefox" (not just "firefox"), maybe that's the problem.

Mar 25, 2018 9:47 AM in response to Zaphple

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit System Preferences.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Mar 26, 2018 7:49 PM in response to Zaphple

Hey thanks for your replies - as I'd mentioned this happens when I restart, then I was wondering how it got fixed before - I'd try all manner of things, give up and forget about it the next day and it would have gone away. This time I was more watchful and something odd occurred: I review music and consequently get lots of click-through links in my email. It was links to bandcamp that were wrongly opening Safari, then after I posted this issue I forgot about it and forgetting the problem clicked on a soundcloud link which did open up in my correct default browser (Firefox), so I tested another link and that worked. So I looked in the sys - prefs/general and the default browser area was no longer blank and now contained Firefox and the other options in the pull down menu as it should...

Furthermore I went back to the earlier bandcamp click-throughs and they opened correctly

Could one of the click-throughs somehow cause the correction?

It's working fine for now - but I wonder what is actually going on.

El Capitan: Mail links open in non-default browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.