Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move from Google Photo to Apple Photo (iCloud)

Hi

I am considering moving my Google photos over to Apple photos. But I want to know how much storage space on iCloud I would need. Should I go for the 200gb or 2tb iCloud plan?

Is there a way I can figure this out before I start the process? How can I find out the size of my Google photos library so that I can ensure I get enough space on iCloud?

Thanks

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Mar 24, 2018 10:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2018 11:06 PM

How to use Google photos is a question for Google support

But - you may be misunderstanding how iCloud and Photos work - iCloud is not an offline storage solution like I guess Google Photos is - it is asyncing service to keep the photo library on multiple Apple devices the same

You would need to sign into iCloud on your Mac, enable iCloud Photo Library in the Photos Application and then import all photos form Google Photos into Photos and let them sync to iCloud - once the sync is complete all changes (additions, deletions or edits -- iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support ) made on the Mac or any connected Apple Device is made on all connected devices

If Google can not tell you how much space you need then simply start with 2 TB and once the sync is complete if you only need 200 GB then downgrade

LN

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2018 11:06 PM in response to GerWol

How to use Google photos is a question for Google support

But - you may be misunderstanding how iCloud and Photos work - iCloud is not an offline storage solution like I guess Google Photos is - it is asyncing service to keep the photo library on multiple Apple devices the same

You would need to sign into iCloud on your Mac, enable iCloud Photo Library in the Photos Application and then import all photos form Google Photos into Photos and let them sync to iCloud - once the sync is complete all changes (additions, deletions or edits -- iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support ) made on the Mac or any connected Apple Device is made on all connected devices

If Google can not tell you how much space you need then simply start with 2 TB and once the sync is complete if you only need 200 GB then downgrade

LN

Move from Google Photo to Apple Photo (iCloud)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.