Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Etrecheck have the blessing/approval of Apple itself?

Hi 😕

Here on ASC there is much discussion about the dangers of using non-approved software.

My understanding is that simply by visiting a URL a computer can be infected with malware and the user remain completely unaware of this fact. There is some discussion about this here:- https://www.quora.com/Can-you-get-a-virus-just-by-visiting-a-website

If the Etrecheck facility has been checked - by Apple itself - to ensure that it is completely safe for Apple customers to use, I'd really welcome that confirmation.

Does any one know or can someone ask Apple on my behalf?

D.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 27 inch - Purchased January 2018

Posted on Mar 25, 2018 5:17 AM

58 replies

Mar 26, 2018 4:46 AM in response to LACAllen

Thank you, 'LACAllen'.

Sadly, that link didn't 'work' for me. Has it been 'doctored' in some way? No matter where one goes on the Internet, one can never be certain that it's safe to click on a link! 😉

The similar link posted by 'etresoft' DID work, though .... but with this result:-

User uploaded file

As he is a Developer, I'm rather surprised that 'etresoft' was unaware of this restriction. No matter. 😎

D.

Mar 26, 2018 12:42 PM in response to LACAllen

LACAllen wrote:

I’ll bet he’s fully aware of the need to be a developer for access. I didn’t warn you either.

No admonishment for me?

Curious.

No matter? Does not seem so.

I don't seek to admonish anyone; nobody at all! 😕

What I would like to know, though, is why the link posted by 'etresoft' takes me directly to the appropriate Apple page - whereas the link YOU posted, 'LACAllen', initially shows the correct Apple URL in the address bar but then takes me here:-

Sign In - Apple

If I do try to sign in, an orange-coloured box appears saying "The account does not exist"

User uploaded file

====================================================================

This happens whilst I am already 'Signed in'.

Is there a simple reason? I suspect not. 😢

Mar 26, 2018 1:39 PM in response to HunterBD

About Apple Developer and Bug Reporting:

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

This explains why the no-access page appears when you have no authorized

business with Apple Developer (register if qualified & sign-in to join) then see

that you also follow strict rules - if you do join. ~ Same with testing software,

in beta programs. This I had joined for a while years ago... Then I let it lapse.

Even so, there are areas of unrestricted access on Developer site to archives

of considerable value; a learning library exists for anyone who wants to use it.

In any event...

User uploaded file

Mar 26, 2018 6:21 PM in response to HunterBD

Has it been 'doctored' in some way?

It's pretty simple to see if a link has been "doctored."

See here how I show that the text of the link posted by LACAllen is exactly the link embedded:

User uploaded file

You seem extremely concerned about internet security but you don't know how to drag a link in Safari to show you what the link actually points to? That allusion you create seems to be what is "doctored."

Mar 27, 2018 3:07 AM in response to HunterBD

Further inquiry regarding "anti-virus and malware scanner" for macOS from Canimaan Software Ltd.

you may be directed to their site for clamXAV linked from their home page. ~ Don't expect the maker

to visit ASC, or answer to sketchy inquiries here. Please save yourself from regenerating any ill-will.😐

{With kindness & consideration ~ peace & understanding may prevail.}

User uploaded file

Mar 25, 2018 3:16 PM in response to HunterBD

You wrote - My understanding is that simply by visiting a URL a computer can be infected with malware and the user remain completely unaware of this fact.Yes everything is possible in the internet world , the user must be alert , clicking on a link or hidden codes can install malware in Mac , even virus can be installed if the site developer has created in such a way , but its very rare .

See these links Safari Security preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Manage warnings about unsafe sites - Computer - Google Chrome Help

macOS Sierra: What is malware?

Mar 25, 2018 3:19 PM in response to stedman1

Hmmm. 😟

I'm not sure where you are coming from on this, 'stedman1' 😕

In this thread from 2014 https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6704451

Referring to EtreCheck, 'Linc Davis' said to me .....

"I haven't tested that program and I don't recommend it. In reports on this site, the "failed" warnings appear often. No one, including the developer, seems to know what they mean. I've seen no evidence that they mean anything at all. To do anything at all merely because of those warnings, in the absence of a functional problem, would be a waste of time. As I wrote, the results of posting "etrecheck" output can be very poor."

And ...... "I have no use for "etrecheck" output."

=

How can I be sure that connecting to the EtreCheck server and downloading the software will not, in and of itself, cause 'damage' to my computer or compromise my security?

I don't want to end up being part of one of these! 😮

https://www.secplicity.org/2018/02/20/iot-botnets-evolving-big-can-get/

I would very much like Apple itself to verify that the product is safe to use.

Does THIS help explain matters?

D.

Mar 25, 2018 6:25 PM in response to HunterBD

HunterBD wrote:

In this thread from 2014 https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6704451

Referring to EtreCheck, 'Linc Davis' said to me .....

"I haven't tested that program and I don't recommend it. In reports on this site, the "failed" warnings appear often. No one, including the developer, seems to know what they mean. I've seen no evidence that they mean anything at all. To do anything at all merely because of those warnings, in the absence of a functional problem, would be a waste of time. As I wrote, the results of posting "etrecheck" output can be very poor."

And ...... "I have no use for "etrecheck" output."

If you want any clarification regarding something that Linc Davis said in 2014, you are going to have to ask him. But he hasn't been active on these forums for about 2 years.

How can I be sure that connecting to the EtreCheck server and downloading the software will not, in and of itself, cause 'damage' to my computer or compromise my security?

As others have said, that is not a service that Apple provides. If you feel that this is a service that Apple could, or should, offer, then you can submit Feedback or file a Bug Report.

Lacking any such Apple service, all you can do is consult online reviews and recommendations to see if a product is safe and legitimate. I am not going to make any attempts in this thread to demonstrate that EtreCheck is safe or legitimate. It seems like EtreCheck may be replacing ClamXAV as the object of your unwanted attention. I'm sure that would be good news for Mark Allan, but I would like you to find a different hobby. I made a sincere effort to explain some of the more confusing aspects of security software and to dissuade you from your strange anti-ClamXAV crusade. And the reward for my attempts to be helpful is that you now start an anti-EtreCheck crusade?

There is an old saying that goes something like "be careful what you ask for; you might get it." No one had any idea what your anti-ClamXAV agenda was about. Your anti-EtreCheck agenda seems more transparent. In all honesty, I would prefer that you don't use EtreCheck and avoid discussing it here in the forums, either positively or negatively. Otherwise, you might set something in motion that isn't what you would have wanted.

Mar 26, 2018 2:33 AM in response to HunterBD

Life is fraught with danger. Not sure one can ever get this assurance from this community.

You seem to be familiar with how this community works. Apple will not provide such feedback here.

You can offer your concerns to them as follows.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://apple.com/feedback

Mar 26, 2018 8:17 AM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:

HunterBD wrote:

Sadly, that link didn't 'work' for me. Has it been 'doctored' in some way? No matter where one goes on the Internet, one can never be certain that it's safe to click on a link!

The link posted by LACAllen hasn't been "doctored" in any way. The link I provided goes to the same exact place. I omitted the "/web/" part because that is the final landing page after logging into the bug reporter.

=

Your link took me to exactly where you intended me to go.

The link posted by 'LACAllen' took me to THIS URL:-

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/signin?appIdKey=77e2a60d4bdfa6b7311c854a5650 5800be3c24e3a27a670098ff61b69fc5214b&sslEnabled=true&rv=3

I have absolutely no idea why that should be. I was/am already 'signed in' to the ASC.

I didn't feel it appropriate for me to register as a Developer - I'm simply a user, not a 'techie'!

The similar link posted by 'etresoft' DID work, though .... but with this result:-

As he is a Developer, I'm rather surprised that 'etresoft' was unaware of this restriction.

I was not unaware of this restriction. All bug reporting systems require you to create an account. How else would the developers be able to reach out to you to potentially ask more information, a clarification, or to ask you to confirm a fix? If you don't want to create an account, you can use the feedback link that I posted above. That is more of a "black hole" system where there is no possibility of ever getting a response.

To file a bug report in the Apple bug reporter, you have to create a free developer account. This is not the same type of account that would allow you to create apps. And, to be clear, even if you spent $100 or $500 for a real developer account, Apple would never give you any kind of approval. It simply doesn't work that way.

[Edited by Host]

Mar 27, 2018 3:49 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for the time and effort expended to show me to what a particular link actually points. However, I didn't allude to anything. I described what actually happened.

Let me reiterate - although that link shows "bug report.apple.com" that is NOT where I ended up.

When I clicked on the link posted by 'LACAllen' it took me to this URL:-

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/signin?appIdKey=77e2a60d4bdfa6b7311c854a5650 5800be3c24e3a27a670098ff61b69fc5214b&sslEnabled=true&rv=3

'etresoft' has explained why. I accept that explanation. Did you know why I was redirected?

D.

Mar 25, 2018 5:24 AM in response to HunterBD

My understanding is that simply by visiting a URL a computer can be infected with malware and the user remain completely unaware of this fact.

Your understanding is poor, at best.

While it still may be possible to get something to download and you miss the animation and download button popping up, you would still have to run the malware in order to infect yourself.

Apple does not check any software "to ensure that it is completely safe," even on the App Store. App store apps are only checked to confirm they comply with App Store rules, which may or may not make them "safe."

Mar 25, 2018 4:14 PM in response to HunterBD

As most of your questions cannot be answered here, why don't you actually contact Apple rather than asking other users who do not have the capability to do what you want. Call Apple support and/or use the feedback options.

I, for one, prefer to use my time here to actually help people rather than waste it.

Mar 25, 2018 5:45 PM in response to HunterBD

How can you take such an answer as serious from a person who had never tested it? You could use that logic in millions of conversations. Such as, "I've never owned or even driven one, but Fords are terrible automobiles." This statement, by the way, was from a person who would routinely tell people that a multi-thousand character Unix command he wrote was completely safe. There are likely less than a 100 people in the entire world who could read through that and tell you what each and every command did. But, you were simply supposed to trust it.

As far as safe? There's no way to know if a single bit of software or hardware you use is completely safe. Third party software? No more or less dangerous than the software provided by Apple. You have no idea of a disgruntled Apple engineer didn't sneak some sort of destructive trigger into a seldom used function.

What about the CPU, or other hardware components purchased by Apple to build their Macs? They didn't write a single line of code for those. So, I guess we shouldn't trust those as being safe, either.

If you want, you can download the entire source code for EtreCheck from GitHub and read through it yourself.

Does Etrecheck have the blessing/approval of Apple itself?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.