Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do my mac devices needs antivirus protection? i just had an ichat with apple and they said that I don't need to buy protection.

My Schwab account was recently frozen and when I contacted Schwab, they told me that someone in Los Angeles attempted to access my account. I initially thought this was Phishing, but my account was frozen. The Rep at Schwab said to make sure that all of the devices I use to access the account should be cleaned and be running antivirus protection. I had an ichat session with apple and they said I don't need any. My brother is now reading articles from Fortune magazine saying that we do need them. Help?!

iPad Pro Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 11, 2018 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2018 1:00 PM

No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system.

The Schwab rep was covering his you know what.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2018 1:00 PM in response to beachandski

No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system.

The Schwab rep was covering his you know what.

do my mac devices needs antivirus protection? i just had an ichat with apple and they said that I don't need to buy protection.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.