Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set iPhone backup to include Mail

Somehow all my emails and Mail accounts disappeared from my iPHone. I had backed it up, however, to my MBP. When I went to restore iPhone the list of what would be restored did not include Mail. Is that usual? or I have got something set so that Mail isn’t being backed up and I didn’t know it?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), iPhone 5s (iOS 910.3); iMac (2008)

Posted on Mar 26, 2018 11:00 AM

6 replies

Mar 26, 2018 11:29 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

Backups never include mail. It is assumed emails are stored on the server so simply adding the account should add back all mail stor d in the server for that account.

For POP mail, that could be a problem, but it would be up to users to ensure their mail is being kept on the server, or saved somewhere.

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support and About backups for iOS devices - Apple Support

Mar 26, 2018 11:22 AM in response to Briansyddall

Thanks. I had done that 1st to correct problem that had apparently erased accounts and email. accounts restored and latest emails, but nothing before erased. Then I went to restore, and it says only restores contacts, messages, and few other things. Mail isn't listed. Didn't run restore b/c affarid that I'll make problem worst and lose the mail that I have.

Mar 27, 2018 4:49 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

I was afraid of that. Problem is that Apple, and almost all apps now, are set on assumption that everyone is connected all the time. I'm connected for a few times a week, with very slow servers. I've posted another query about how to set phone when not always connected. No answers. So often I'm trying to change something on my phone, but it stops me to verify my own Apple ID, and since not connected, it can't and thus will not let me control my own settings. Very frustrating. Wish I could set phone to work like my MBA and let me be in control.

Mar 27, 2018 5:29 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

ArmandoWyo wrote:

I was afraid of that. Problem is that Apple, and almost all apps now, are set on assumption that everyone is connected all the time.

It's a smart-phone. Like virtually all smart-phones, it is designed to be constantly connected.

Why are you lacking a connection most of a time? The link you posted to your previous query does not work.

Mar 27, 2018 5:47 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

ArmandoWyo wrote:

I was afraid of that. Problem is that Apple, and almost all apps now, are set on assumption that everyone is connected all the time. I'm connected for a few times a week, with very slow servers. I've posted another query about how to set phone when not always connected. No answers. So often I'm trying to change something on my phone, but it stops me to verify my own Apple ID, and since not connected, it can't and thus will not let me control my own settings. Very frustrating. Wish I could set phone to work like my MBA and let me be in control.

I don’t understand what any of that has to do with not being able to force an iCloud or iTunes backup to include your email? Which you cannot do, as mentioned. There is no user setting to make a backup include email.

Your email should be on the servers of whomever provides your email service and Account. It should be there at any time from any device you use to login to your email account (Unless you’ve deleted the message from the email server). You can stay dis-connected from your email for days, weeks, months and it should still all be there, unless your inbox has filled up to the limit of your email providers storage quota.

How to set iPhone backup to include Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.