Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iOS 11.3 still works with iTunes 12.6.3

I really need to know because I cannot update to iTunes 12.7.3

Is Apple planning to update iTunes business 12.6.3 to 12.6.4?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.1, null

Posted on Mar 29, 2018 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2018 10:18 AM

I did an OTA update years ago and I promised myself never again, after being forced to do a full restore as well from iTunes

Now I did the update after downloading the right IPSW

Search it, it's easy to find from trusted websites that have the link from Apple, then option click update in iTunes and select the IPSW you downloaded. It works with iTunes 12.6.3 and 12.6.4

and to answer to myself , yes definitely everything works as before 🙂

Just to resume for everyone

iTunes 12.6.4.3 download page

If you've already installed a newer version of iTunes, you can download this version of iTunes on your Mac, PC 32-bit, or PC 64-bit1 and run the installer.

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2018 10:18 AM in response to woodmeister50

I did an OTA update years ago and I promised myself never again, after being forced to do a full restore as well from iTunes

Now I did the update after downloading the right IPSW

Search it, it's easy to find from trusted websites that have the link from Apple, then option click update in iTunes and select the IPSW you downloaded. It works with iTunes 12.6.3 and 12.6.4

and to answer to myself , yes definitely everything works as before 🙂

Just to resume for everyone

iTunes 12.6.4.3 download page

If you've already installed a newer version of iTunes, you can download this version of iTunes on your Mac, PC 32-bit, or PC 64-bit1 and run the installer.

Mar 30, 2018 6:04 PM in response to turingtest2

Really? Then why does iTunes tell you that 11.3 requires 12.7.3? This is a bad move, I have an iPhone 10 & iPad pro that can't be upgraded again thanks to this poor decision. Someone needs to be fired but that might cause one of the millennials that work at apple to cry & need a therapy dog. Sad real sad.. Someone needs to fix this.

User uploaded file

Mar 31, 2018 4:10 PM in response to relh

I hope Apple will do an update for many reasons, beside the fact

with iTunes 12.6.3 I can download every app updates I need

only once without incurring in too much higher internet consumption, that costs.

When you download iMovie or Keynote 3 times (iPad, 2 iPhones ) you waste 1.8 GB or 1.5 Gb respectively.

Garageband 3 times would be 4.5Gb

If you think an iTunes 12.6.4 would be useful please leave a feedback to Apple

Thanks anyway to all of you.

Apr 1, 2018 7:32 AM in response to annabelle

annabelle wrote:

If you think an iTunes 12.6.4 would be useful please leave a feedback to Apple

Thanks anyway to all of you.

With the feedback they got from the 12.6.x to 12.7 about app downloads

and app management, the recent move clearly indicates that those requests

were totally ignored and have no intent on returning any of those features.

Apr 1, 2018 11:56 AM in response to woodmeister50

No, it's not true if a lot of people complain. Apple created iTunes 12.6.3 just after all the complaints they received from consumers with the iPhone 8 and from businesses.

Same for a lot of other times where they went back because it didn't have any sense both Mac and iOS

If you don't let them know they think everything is ok

Feedback - iTunes - Apple

Apr 4, 2018 8:35 AM in response to turingtest2

Looks like Apple are listening after all. Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support has been updated with links to version 12.6.4.3 of iTunes which should install over 12.6.3.6 and, one assumes, allow iTunes to both update devices to iOS 11.3 and restore to them when required, as well as retaining the other app management features that some users want.

tt2

Apr 4, 2018 3:09 PM in response to annabelle

12.6.3 requires iTunes 12.7.4 when trying to update to iOS 11.3 but you can just update using the iPhone X and not iTunes. There is a download for iTunes 12.6.4 although I have it I've not tried it for iOS 11.3 updater to iPhone X but I'm assuming it is built for it.

select the MAC hypertext.

Deploy apps in a business environment with iTunes - Apple Support

Mar 31, 2018 4:08 PM in response to MJ1020

My iPhone 6+ seems happy to connect to iTunes 12.6.3.6. I don't see why it would be different with say an 8 or X, but I cannot test myself. I do have an iPad Pro but I switched back to High Sierra running 12.7.4.76 after testing connectivity with the 6+ in my Sierra partition. I tend to update over the air rather than through iTunes.

User uploaded file

tt2

Mar 30, 2018 9:14 PM in response to turingtest2

Based on suggestions I found elsewhere in the net, I decided to update my iPhone 6S over the air (i.e., wireless to my router) and was able to do so while at the same time keeping iTunes 12.6.3 on my Mac. After updating the iOS, iTunes sees my iPhone correctly and appears to be syncing OK. I have not tried a backup to my computer (for now, only to iCloud) because I want to keep open the possibility of a restore if the iOS update turns out to be flawed. At some time, I suppose I will almost have to try iTunes 12.7 and hope it does not lose data I lost in my previous attempt.

Apr 1, 2018 11:58 AM in response to turingtest2

Sure, but how smaller is a OTA( OverTheAir) update compared to the full one?

I always preferred to update from iTunes because a lot of people who have problems on their devices is because they update using OTA all the time. And it's bit and pieces instead of a full update.

Same for the Mac, I always use Combo updates.

Even in my family I could see the difference and many times the solution is to update via iTunes again but using the full update.

The problem is when you need to update 3 times for each app everyday ( I'm not but after one week I have like 40 updates...this is where the bandwidth goes )

Plus if an app update is bad I can always reinstall it from Time Machine the release that was working.

How can you do that if iTunes is not dealing with apps anymore ?

Apr 1, 2018 12:02 PM in response to annabelle

I'm not denying there are circumstances where managing through iTunes might have advantages, only that the data usage argument isn't so clear cut. One universal app with all of the resources for each different device is clearly going to be larger than two or three delta updates that contain only the changes from a previous build with only the resources for the particular device.

If you have a Mac then when iTunes 12.6.3.6 no longer works for you Apple Configurator 2 is an alternative option.

tt2

Apr 1, 2018 2:55 PM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

I'm not denying there are circumstances where managing through iTunes might have advantages, only that the data usage argument isn't so clear cut. ..

For me it was never about data usage, it was about having

a copy of everything locally should an iDevice go belly up

and need a full restore and not be totally dependent on the

availability of an internet connection and totally dependent

on Apple servers being available and also not be overloaded

as to be extremely slow, stall or even stop downloads (like

none of those conditions have never happened).

Does iOS 11.3 still works with iTunes 12.6.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.