Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 10.5” with iOS 11.3 battery drain

I just downloaded iOS 11.3 to my WiFi-only 2017 Ipad Pro (A1701) and was hoping it would help improve battery life. It did not. iPad was 100% charged at 8am. This would imply the battery would fully drain in 5.3hrs. Used Safari and Blackberry Work for around 45min and now battery is 86%. Brightness is halfway on the scale. Only have WiFi on (not Bluetooth).

Any way to fix this please?

Thank you!

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11.3

Posted on Mar 30, 2018 12:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2018 12:32 AM

Hi michaelrur!

I see that you're having issues with battery life on your iPad, and I'm happy to help. Please start by reviewing this article and adjusting your iPad settings accordingly.

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!
12 replies

Apr 2, 2018 12:13 PM in response to michaelrur

Have you tried a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons?

How much free data storage space is left on your iPad?

iDevices need to maintain, at least, 3 GBs, OR GREATER, of free data storage space.

If you need to free up free data storage space on an iPad/iDevice, you need to start by backing up your iPad to either Apple's iCloud or by connecting your iDevice to a computer running the latest iTunes.

Then delete any installed apps that you no longer use or use infrequently enough that they aren't missed (you can always reinstalled any purchased or free apps at some time later, as you need them).

Thin out/delete any music/videos/movies/TV shows/images/eBooks/eMagazine/iBooks/audio books/Documents/PDFs, etc.

Delete any old saved emails that maybe saved to your iPad.

To permanently delete photos/images off of your iDevice go into the Photos app and find the Recently Deleted folder/album and permanently delete any photos/images stored in that folder/album.

Also, you can check to see what stuff is eating up all your valuable data storage space by going into the Settings App,,General Settings Panel, in the right hand column, tap Storage & iCloud usage panel, in the top Storage Panel, tap the Manage Storage panel, wait for a list of apps to generate that will tell you how much space each app is taking up on your iDevice.

In Settings app, General settings panel, turn OFF Background App Refresh for any apps you feel do not need constant data updating/Internet updating in the background when not using the an app OR turn OFF Background App Refresh entirely/globally for the entire device.

In Settings app, under General settings, Reset panel, at the right bottom of the list, Reset All Settings.

In Settings app (NOT from the iOS Control Panel) turn OFF Bluetooth when not using any Bluetooth devices.

Also, in general, if you want a faster IDevice, on all of my iDevices, I turn off most of the iOS motion graphics eye candy, by simply turning ON Reduce Motion in Settings app, General, Accessibilty settings.

Make sure you aren't running scads and scads of background apps in the iOS 11 Control Panel/App Switcher.

If you are, you need to quit the bulk of these background running apps by tap and hold a finger on an app window in the switcher and slide your finger upwards to quit an app. You should be able to use more than one finger to quit more than one app window simultaneously.

Also, make sure you don’t have scads and scads of active website tabs running in the web browser.

If you do, greatly reduce the amount of active website tabs your web browser.

Some minority of user have been turning ON and leaving ON iCloud backups continuously backing up on a constant and daily basis.

If you are one of these users, turn off iCloud backup and only turn this on to do daily backups either when you are not using your iPad for a prolonged period of time (like when you are sleeping), then turn iCloud backups OFF when actually using your iPad

OR

only perform your backups on a lesser time schedule.( like twice a week, once a week, once every two weeks, once a month, etc.).

Tap on the link below to my iDevice/iOS performance/optimisation user tips link.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10344

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together.

Do not simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance “cure all”. Many of these tips are designed to work together to improve overall iOS/iDevice performance.

Then do another hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Good Luck to You!

Apr 2, 2018 1:22 AM in response to MichelPM

Hi Michel -

Thank you for your detailed answer. My answers below in bold italics:

Have you tried a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons?

Yes, twice.

How much free data storage space is left on your iPad?

iDevices need to maintain, at least, 3 GBs, OR GREATER, of free data storage space.

47.3 of 64gb is used

If you need to free up free data storage space on an iPad/iDevice, you need to start by backing up your iPad to either Apple's iCloud or by connecting your iDevice to a computer running the latest iTunes.

Then delete any installed apps that you no longer use or use infrequently enough that they aren't missed (you can always reinstalled any purchased or free apps at some time later, as you need them).

Thin out/delete any music/videos/movies/TV shows/images/eBooks/eMagazine/iBooks/audio books/Documents/PDFs, etc.

Delete any old saved emails that maybe saved to your iPad.

I sync my ipad to my MacBook almost every day. I have the latest software (11.3) running on my iPad. Have deleted most of what I don’t use.

To permanently delete photos/images off of your iDevice go into the Photos app and find the Recently Deleted folder/album and permanently delete any photos/images stored in that folder/album.

Have done so.

Also, you can check to see what stuff is eating up all your valuable data storage space by going into the Settings App,,General Settings Panel, in the right hand column, tap Storage & iCloud usage panel, in the top Storage Panel, tap the Manage Storage panel, wait for a list of apps to generate that will tell you how much space each app is taking up on your iDevice.

Music is 24 and photos are 8; everything else is less than 1.

In Settings app, General settings panel, turn OFF Background App Refresh for any apps you feel do not need constant data updating/Internet updating in the background when not using the an app OR turn OFF Background App Refresh entirely/globally for the entire device.

I keep that off at all times.

In Settings app, under General settings, Reset panel, at the right bottom of the list, Reset All Settings.

Have done so.

In Settings app (NOT from the iOS Control Panel) turn OFF Bluetooth when not using any Bluetooth devices.

I never use iPad with Bluetooth.

Also, in general, if you want a faster IDevice, on all of my iDevices, I turn off most of the iOS motion graphics eye candy, by simply turning ON Reduce Motion in Settings app, General, Accessibilty settings.

All my Accessibility settings are off except Display Accommodations.

Make sure you aren't running scads and scads of background apps in the iOS 11 Control Panel/App Switcher.

If you are, you need to quit the bulk of these background running apps by tap and hold a finger on an app window in the switcher and slide your finger upwards to quit an app. You should be able to use more than one finger to quit more than one app window simultaneously.

I do that daily.

Also, make sure you don’t have scads and scads of active website tabs running in the web browser.

If you do, greatly reduce the amount of active website tabs your web browser.

I do that daily.

Some minority of user have been turning ON and leaving ON iCloud backups continuously backing up on a constant and daily basis.

i don’t use iCloud backup.

If you are one of these users, turn off iCloud backup and only turn this on to do daily backups either when you are not using your iPad for a prolonged period of time (like when you are sleeping), then turn iCloud backups OFF when actually using your iPad

OR

only perform your backups on a lesser time schedule.( like twice a week, once a week, once every two weeks, once a month, etc.).

I don't use iCloud backup.

Tap on the link below to my iDevice/iOS performance/optimisation user tips link.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10344

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together.

Do not simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance “cure all”. Many of these tips are designed to work together to improve overall iOS/iDevice performance.

Then do another hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

I have done so.

Unfortunately, in the 20min I was writing an email on Blackberry Work, the battery dropped from 82% to 74% implying The iPad loses 18% per hour - which would mean the battery lasts for ~5.5 hours.

Any other fixes or recommendations please?

Thank you!

Apr 2, 2018 1:45 AM in response to CarlAVII

Hi Allen,

Thank you for your email; I put below the key tips and then my reply in bold italics:

Update to latest software

Have done so (running 11.3)

Avoid extreme ambient temperatures

I live in England - no risk of that! 🙂

Remove certain cases while charging

I only have the Apple Smart Keyboard

Store it half charged

I use my iPad daily

Optimize settings - dim screen/auto brightness

I have the screen brightness in the centre

Optimise settings - WiFi

My iPad is wifi only

Enable low power mode

Doesn't exist on my iPad

View Battery Usage

Safari is 42%, Blackberry Work 36%, Instagram 16%, Mail 2%, Youtube 1%, Google Maps 1%, Twitter 1%, Home and Lock Screen 1. Only YouTube says Background Activity. (however, when I go to Settings>YouTube, Background App Refresh is whited-out

Location Services

I have it on but the only apps that that are "While Using" are: Calendar, Camera, Google Maps, Maps, Plane Finder, System Services. The rest are "Never"

Lock and Home Screen

Most are set to "Off"

No cell coverage and low signal

My iPad is wifi only and wifi in my home and office is fine (always three "bars")

Plug in and power on your computer

I sync my iPad to my MacBook almost every day

Any other advice would be greatly received!

Thank you!

Apr 4, 2018 5:33 PM in response to michaelrur

Hi all

Quick post but if there's interest I'll go into more detail. I've experienced severe battery drain since iOS11 was first installed and lost count of the amount of troubleshooting, factory resets etc I've been through, even replacing the battery with a new one from Apple recently. None of the iOS updates have helped, neither did turning off background refresh or location services etc. My iPhone lived permanently in Low Power mode.

I eventually hooked my phone up to Xcode Intruments to get some visibility of the running processes and immediately found a process called 'Bird' running at 98%+ cpu constantly. Forums suggest the process relates to iCloud Drive sync (although most posts relate to the process also killing the cpu on OSX and Windows platforms with iCloud installed).

While I don't think all cases of the dreaded battery drain are the same issue, if you're experiencing something similar then this could be worth a try. The suggestion is to simply turn off iCloud Drive in Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive. Caution should be used when doing so as it'll remove any files and folders / app data from your device (but importantly not from iCloud) when it's toggled off. This WILL implicate apps on your device that use iCloud to store data (game data, docs etc).

I use iCloud Drive moderately for my own files but it seemed worth the trade off to disable it for a phone that didn't burn my hand and need charging 3 times a day... It even reportedly worked for those who don't use iCloud Drive but just have it turned on by default. As for the long term and whether it's a sustainable workaround is another question.

Turning off iCloud Drive for me resolved the issue immediately. Xcode instruments instantly showed a huge drop in cpu use (back to normal levels) and finally the phone is allowed to cool down. Toggling iCloud Drive back on immediately starts the process and the high cpu. I don't believe this is due to normal conditions such as data syncing as it remains high persistently, like since September 2017 in my case.

Since doing this my iPhone 7 (iOS11.3) has been cool to the touch for days now and battery life has returned to the blissful time before iOS11 made me feel like I was relying on something that needed constant life support.

Apr 23, 2018 6:27 PM in response to michaelrur

I'm having an exact same problem.

So I purposely charged 100% and left it alone with no app running in the background.

A few hours later the battery was down to 75% without opening it a single time.

it used to hold 2 days 100% without opening it.

(100% Friday night after work and over the weekend and back to work on Monday)

Surprise thing was there was one app in Setting-Battery. it was "mail" app. (even though i closed all the apps)

I don't even use apple default mail app. I use outlook. but that app was hoarding my battery.

I deleted the app. hope that will make the problem go away. maybe you can try that and post the result. I will~

thanks,

dk

iPad Pro 10.5” with iOS 11.3 battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.