Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

exchange contacts not showing in whatsapp ios after 11.3 upgrade

Hi, after ios 11.3 upgrade (mar 29, 2018) on my iphone x, whatsapp would only see contacts from icloud, and not from an exchange account. all privacy settings seem to be in place to allow contacts access to whatsapp. any idea?

iPhone X, iOS 11.3

Posted on Mar 30, 2018 10:00 AM

33 replies

Apr 5, 2018 10:37 PM in response to SatyaRoddam

Hi,

in order to copy the contacts under windows from Exchange contacts to iCloud contact, you may proceed as follows:

1- to have a running version of outlook with your exchange account already set up

2- install iCloud for Windows: Download iCloud for Windows - Apple Support

3- configure your iCloud/itune account in iCloud for windows

4- run outlook, and verify both contacts are under my contact tab

5- select exchange contacts, select all (ctrl+a)

6- copy the selected contacts (ctrl+c)

7- go to iCloud contacts

8- paste the copied contacts (ctrl+v)

9- done

since I'm describing the high procedure, this is intended for users with a good level of understanding of windows and outlook, who can take the right actions based on the steps provided.

!!! I did not use google on purpose, since I don't trust google with my professional and private contacts !!!

If you have any suggestion to improve the procedure, please feel free to revert back with your comments and suggestions.

good luck.

Apr 2, 2018 12:52 AM in response to leventist

Read here:

http://www.brianmadden.com/opinion/My-analysis-of-Apple-iOS-113-and-other-spring -EMM-updates

Lastly, according to the notes for one of the 11.3 betas, contacts are now treated as managed data. This is similar to the ‘open in’ controls introduced all the way back in iOS 7. If an app or email account is managed by MDM, then associated contacts cannot be accessed by unmanaged apps and accounts

Apr 3, 2018 12:21 AM in response to panchososa694

- Thanks Panschososa, but I don't agree with your statement at all -

What is one of the core functions of the OS?

if not to provide the subsystem for inter Apps communication and data exchange.

contacts is an apple app, but why can whatsapp and Contact Mover access the contacts, if they are Exchange contacts?

The issue is caused by iOS 11.3, since nothing has changed on the phone except the iOS upgrade to 11.3.

Apr 3, 2018 4:00 AM in response to yaronsha

Thanks Yaronsha, the root cause makes sense - although I find it weird that whatever new MDM setup Apple has in mind doesn't allow access to third party apps from the get go. Maybe it does and the third party apps do not do it yet and we will have to wait, I don't know. I do not agree, though, that this is 'not' an Apple problem. It IS an Apple problem if they want to be seriously considered as an enterprise device provider.

In any case, it looks like there's nothing to do until third party apps (ie whatsapp) figure out how to access this data. As a workaround, I will have to import all exchange contacts into local/icloud account. Any ideas of a short cut as to how to do this?

Thks.

Apr 3, 2018 5:07 AM in response to leventist

Hi Leventist,

I just copied the contacts from Exchange to iCloud by using outlook 2016 under windows (copy and paste).

under MacOS (High Sierra) apple contacts app can't access exchange contacts, and Outlook under mac can't access iCloud.

so I fired up a Windows-VM and did it under windows. There may be a better way, but this was the one I used.

Good Luck.

Cheers

Apr 6, 2018 12:05 AM in response to leventist

This is an expected behaviour if you have a phone issued by your Company and their respective MDM solution in use.

Since iOS 11.3 Apple introduced a new EMM / MDM feature which containerizes Contacts from being used by Apps which are not installed by your Companies MDM, so-called unmanaged Apps.

The ways described how to get those Contacts back showing up in Apps like WhatsApp are more or less violations of your use of a Company owned and managed iPhone / iPad / Mac.

But thats just me saying, you may get in touch with your admin at work and have them explain it to you.

Apr 8, 2018 11:37 AM in response to MyMj

It’s not a whatsapp issue.. it is the fact that as of iOS 11.3 your company contacts are now considered managed data and unmanaged apps can’t access it. One way to solve it is to define whatsapp as a managed app in your mdm and then it will be allowed to access your managed contacts. But your information security officer needs to approve such a solution. It may be that in your company the information security prefers that whatsapp and other 3rd party apps do not have access to company conta

May 5, 2018 6:02 AM in response to leventist

Welcome to my world...

If you're facing this issue then it's most probably that your contacts are stored in Exchange and not in Gmail, Outlook.com, etc.

So the newest on this is that Apple have implemented a security measure to protect your contacts and are not allowing WhatsApp and other 3rd-party apps from accessing the iPhone's contacts, hence the empty WhatsApp contacts list.

The Apple folks are discovering it as we speak and will tell you "not my problem, check with WhatsApp", the WhatsApp folks are discovering it and telling you "not my problem, check with Apple" and the infinite loop syndrome is on.

Yes you can export your Exchange contacts and store them in Gmail or Outlook.com or even store them on the iPhone itself but no, I don't want to do that (or iCloud of course).

I want WhatsApp and other 3rd-party tools to recognise the need to support this new privacy protection mechanism.

Long story short, don't waste your time and wait patiently for all those guys to recognise the issue 😠

In the meantime, enjoy the alias given by WhatsApp to the contact speaking to you on WhatsApp (if any 😢)...

Tchoum999

exchange contacts not showing in whatsapp ios after 11.3 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.