Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes song info greyed out, can't edit for apple watch music library

I recently bought an Apple Watch series 3 and source my music stored through my iphone. I use the watch to control my music. But when I want to browse through my artists on the watch for example, it shows 14 different albums for the same artist. I then went into itunes to edit the album info to reduce the number of albums and make them fall all under 1 album.

So here's my issue: itunes won't allow me to edit the info on these albums, they're greyed out. I've gone into the itunes media folder and made sure each user (myself, everyone) is read and write. I've also checked to see if each is "locked", none of which are the case. My only other guess is that this music was downloaded years ago and wasn't "purchased" as all my purchased music is editable

What do I need to do to edit this info and make my apple watch library more easily browsable?

ios 11.3, watch os 4.3

Apple Watch Series 3, iOS 11.3, itunes 12.7.4.76

Posted on Mar 30, 2018 6:22 PM

10 replies

Mar 30, 2018 7:19 PM in response to turingtest2

I should also add that the songs in itunes itself are editable which I know sounds like a contradiction of my post, it's when I select the music tab under my iphone that won't allow an edit. Since my apple watch sources the songs from my phone, that's why it won't display correctly which I've added below. Now the second one is under itunes itself and shows the edits I made to the album so they all list the same name

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 30, 2018 7:48 PM in response to turingtest2

I've synced the phone multiple times after making the album name adjustments and also after quitting itunes and relaunching. If i attempt to manually add songs (currently under sync entire library) it asks this (screenshot below): Which leads me to believe that the very music I'm trying to edit, will then be removed and I'll have no way of recovering it as its been carried over from iphone to iphone since my 4s. Is that assumption correct?

User uploaded file

Mar 30, 2018 9:28 PM in response to turingtest2

I figured it out. Had edit each album individually within itunes, then do the manual sync to my phone afterwards. itunes will only let you edit within the itunes portion of the program and not when under your iphone tab viewing music looking to edit. I did lose some music for whatever reason but ultimately got what I wanted with having my songs consolidated into specific albums and not spread out over 10+ albums, with 1 song listed in each. Thanks again for your help!

Mar 30, 2018 6:55 PM in response to turingtest2

Unfortunately I have done applied to enclosed folders to all folders within the itunes music folder and for each user. I did notice that when I open that music folder the contents say 1,396 (songs), whereas my itunes music library lists 1,419.

Could it be that because these songs are very old and weren't originally downloaded onto this mac and were actually from my previous pc with using software like limewire, that the file path isn't linked to the correct music folder like my purchased music is?

Mar 30, 2018 7:23 PM in response to vbushe1

Select the songs, then use File > Library > Consolidate files. If iTunes is connected to an original located outside the media folder then it is the copy there whose permissions matter. The copies in the media folder might be duplicates you made manually somehow. For one of the tracks right-click and use Show in Finder to see which copy iTunes is actually connected to. Get Info > File tab can also be useful.

tt2

itunes song info greyed out, can't edit for apple watch music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.