Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove grease stains from Retina Screen

Hello,

I have a 2013 Macbook Pro 15 inch retina, I had the staingate problem and Apple switched my screen for a new one in June. The problem now is that the screen is filled with "grease stains" from the keyboard and now it won't remove. I don't know if its the same problem of the Staingate or whatever but I've tried everything.

- Water, Alcohol using a microfiber cloth.

Any ideas of how to remove it? Here is a picture of how it looks now.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Mar 30, 2018 8:01 PM

2 replies

Mar 31, 2018 3:03 PM in response to michaelmm2045

When first in evidence, short of following Apple instructions (found via simple search online)

• How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support And if you had tried only their approved

cleaning methods. ~ If that didn't work, you'd then take unit to Apple Store for an evaluation

& repair estimate by Genius. Now there's not much else, except ask LCD replacement costs.

Alcohol had been considered a no-no for some time. With older soft-surface LCD panels

and the earlier coated glass, which is remarkably resilient to most careful handling. ~ My

2003-2005 Macs with soft-surface LCD displays are in great condition. Newer glass, too.

A clear water-dampened soft cloth (microfiber, etc) is cited for use by several LCD brands.

Cleaning kits and other products from various sources may be used; some were helpful

to make the defective surface more usable after cleaning and then display was covered.

And to clear off smudges that one may mistakenly try solvent to remove, are available.

Examples include specific use with prep for 'application of protection layer' over screen:

Photodon.com: Kit Compare Chart

There had been a Support page at Apple online that showed some costs of MacBook repair.

But their 'inspection evaluation' process can suggest the costs to replace a defective panel.

User uploaded file

Remove grease stains from Retina Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.